Fixing a radiator to plasterboard/stud wall?

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Pjclarke1978, Oct 16, 2012.

1. G Brown

G Brown New Member

I have fitted literally hundreds of radiators ( which have not fallen off) and never used gimmicky gadgets from Ebay! :)

Toggles are designed for plasterboard and work perfectly. As do anchors or even rawlplugs!

2. Provided no-one ever bumps into the radiator. Or hangs clothes on them. Or climbs on them (got kids?) Etc.

The death of a plasterboard fixing is movement. Once it moves, yer foffed. It'll just loosen further, until, y'know.

So, use a fixing that doesn't move. Listen to Crows and 'Dawg.

3. G Brown

G Brown New Member

ALL fixings will move when abused DA. Even rawlbolts ;)

4. True, but you know what I mean...

A hefty weight on just plasterboard ain;t a good diea at any time, but if you're going to do it, use the Molly-type that fixes in place. Drill that hole tight and neat - you want the snuggest fit possible, and certainly no bursting through at the back end.

That last sentence doesn't bear reading twice...

5. G Brown

G Brown New Member

"bursting through at the back end"

Ma Botty!

6. Captain Leaky

Captain Leaky New Member

Fixings which are too firmly fixed to plasterboard just cause the board to fracture resulting in a catastrophic failure. Fixngs which loosen over time at least give warning of their impending demise before "bursting through"

7. tom.plum

tom.plum Screwfix Select

in a modern house ALL the walls are plasterboard, some are drylined some are studded some are drylined and insulated with foam, fixing to any of these walls require methods based on stiction, if you like you can use your fancy strips off ebay or use silicone, but as others have stated, and I know from experiance, you can fix the biggest baddest motherbig finger radiators you want with, toggles,butterfly screws and worm type screws, and they stay there,

8. paulmarlow

paulmarlow New Member

Message was edited by: Screwfix Moderator

9. sinewave

sinewave Screwfix Select

The plasterboard fixings pictured in Crowsfoot's post are best.

A big squirt of Silicone on the end is best so when they are tightened up this splats out on the backside (Ma Botty! ) of the board and thus encapsulates the fixing and the back of the plasterboard thus preventing further degradation over time! 

@ Cpt Leaky - Red rawl plugs in plasterbaord? :eek:

YeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeHaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!

10. Captain Leaky

Captain Leaky New Member

Not RED!

I said if its a small RAD ( a rad is a radiator you NUMPTY)  then rawlpugs will suffice....
    .... And they will......blue ones are best ;)

11. G Brown

G Brown New Member

Should have gone to Specsavers Sine!

12. petertheplumber

petertheplumber New Member

I have crowsfoot's suggested fixing loads of times for rads and even large flat screen tv and never lets me down, there is a special tool for clamping them up and I recomend using it if you can find one.

13. sinewave

sinewave Screwfix Select

Oh aye, miss read that a tadge! 

Still, miss read or not, using rawl plugs that don't go in to masonary for owt more than hanging a picture is still reet rough IMHO! 

14. Rawlplugs in plasterboard? No! No, no, no no, nooooooo.

15. Captain Leaky

Captain Leaky New Member

YES yes yes yes! Ooooh! That feels better!

These babies :)

16. sinewave

sinewave Screwfix Select

[​IMG]

Found these left next to a Radiator that's fell off a wall? 

17. G Brown

G Brown New Member

There must be millions of ( small) radiators fitted to plasterboard with decent rawlplugs without any problems.....of course a big radiator will need more substantial mountings.

Many radiators come with multipurpose solid/cavity plugs included in the fixing kits too.

Of course fuddy duddy old luddites will agree to differ...

18. G Brown

G Brown New Member

Interestingly I remember going to a job to see a radiator that had "fallen off the wall".....it had taken the plasterboard with it!

19. sinewave

sinewave Screwfix Select

Oh Contrair my dear Rodney! 

If anyone would care to ring ANY manufacturer of masonary rawl/wall plugs not one of them will stand by their use in plasterboard only.

It's only cheap skates who won't pay the few pence more for proper plasterboard fixings that need to stand back and appraise their working practices.  ;)

I find these are great for most light things in plasterboard.
    http://www.screwfix.com/p/fischer-plasterboard-plug-ldf-4mm-8ga-pack-of-100/81956

20. G Brown

G Brown New Member

Those are good I agree. So are these:

They even put in print "radiators" and "plasterboard"