Fixing fence post to a wall for gate support?

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by SteveMJ, Oct 26, 2014.

1. SteveMJ

SteveMJ Active Member

I want to fix a 100 mm gate post to a wall for fix a new gate to and to make up the gap from 900 mm gate to 1000 mm space.

What to fix gate to wall, I have some meaty 200 mm x 100 mm coach screws that would seem to do - what plug in the wall?

Thanks, Steve

2. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

Depending on the type of bricks the wall is made of, Thunder Bolts are your best bet.

0043926.jpg

3. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

That's a big coach screw or do you mean 10mm (M10) thread?

Last edited: Oct 26, 2014
  4. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

Yer, gonna weaken the 100mm post somewhat if he drills a 101mm clearance hole in it!

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

5. SteveMJ

SteveMJ Active Member

Oh that's why it keeps breaking, ha ha.

Yes a 10 mm coach screw. was thinking of using these plus a big wall plug. Or expanding wall bolts and counter bore into the post to allow a 'reasonable' amount into the wall's brickwork. The Thunder Bolts will cost more than the post and I have no experience of this type of technology.

Hoping to do this post fixing one evening this week.

More advice appreciated

Steve

6. SteveMJ

SteveMJ Active Member

7. R.W_Carpentry

R.W_Carpentry Active Member

The top link you posted are essentially thunderbolts, they're definately what I'd be using if I were in your position .

8. malkie129

malkie129 Screwfix Select

The thunder bolts ,or similar, every time.So easy .....Clearance hole in the post, then just wind them in. :)

9. Hi Steve.

Your 'meaty 200 mm x 10 mm coach screws' - are these the coarse-threaded screws that need plastic wall plugs? If you already have these, then I guess you'd want to use them, so can you get matching plugs for them?

With these, you'd need a sizeable 4+ inch hole in the wall - enough clearance at the bottom so's not to cause bottoming oot.

Anyways, I would also use an adhesive like StixAll or similar to prevent the slight movement you might get with the gate being opened and closed; over time, that small movement will cause problems in t'future. Apply a few blobs around the perimeter before final screwing down.

10. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

Yes, the top link is a thunder bolt made by somebody else, if you read the reviews you will see that the second one is for someone who fixed a gatepost to a wall. :)

11. SteveMJ

SteveMJ Active Member

Thank you very much guys.

Bought the multifix bolts this morning and fixed up the post. Much easier and effective thn I anticipated. Good advice.

Cheers, Steve