Fixing/filling gap between staves in wooden kitchen worktop

Discussion in 'Kitchen Fitters' Talk' started by Wadders, Sep 21, 2017.

1. Wadders

Wadders New Member

Hello,

I've recently moved in to a new house and the wooden worktop in the kitchen was in a poor state of repair.

I've removed the old finish and sanded the worktop back to the wood. Around the sink there was a bit of damage/black stains that I've managed to sand out. Unfortunately the sink is a porcelain sink raised above the worktop - with the wood slotting in to the side of the sink.

I've refinished the worktop with 5 coats of Danish oil and it doesn't look bad for a first attempt.

The issue I have is that around the sink there are a couple of splits between the staves - I assume this is where water has caused the wood to swell and split the glue. The splits are less than 1mm in width and are at most around 5cm in length. I'm not sure how deep the split are, probably a few millimeters. The splits are also a bit darker than the rest of the wood, but I can live with this for now.

The reason I resealed before fixing the area around the sink is that I thought that it was too far gone to be fixed and wanted to seal the rest of the worktop to ensure it didn't get damaged. I'd then get a professional to come in and replace bits around the sink at a later date. It had also taken me a few weekends to get all the sanding done (started by hand, then to a cheap detail sander, then to a random orbital - a really good learning curve!) and the other half demanded that she get a working kitchen back again.

The whole job looks good and I now think that if I can fill the gaps between the staves in to prevent further damage then the worktops will be good for a couple of years - i'll then re-do the whole job and address the dark staining along with the gaps.

My questions are:

Can I fill the gaps in without removing the finish?

What is the best thing to use to fill the gaps in?

I'm really not keen to redo the whole job.

Thanks for reading, and I hope you can help. Happy to provide pictures if that makes it easier.

Alex

2. kitfit1

kitfit1 Screwfix Select

Pics would be good Alex. I've seen what you describe loads of times.......................why oh why oh why do peeps fit porcelain sinks through wooden tops, the result is totally predictable. There is another thread on here where the OP was asking how to cut out for a sink to go through his worktop........................he'll be back asking the same question as you in a few years time.
    Believe it or not, Plastic Wood is a very good way of filling the splits. As long as the splits are deep enough to get a decent amount into the split. Nip down to you local newsagent and by a pack of Rizla's. Open one up and insert it into a split and see how far down it goes.

3. DannyDoLittle

DannyDoLittle Active Member

Couldn't you use the likes of a dremel with the correct filing attachment, file down the small cracks until they are gone & fill the correct colour match for the worktop??

4. kitfit1

kitfit1 Screwfix Select

Mmmmmm, so that you then form loads of dips in the worktop surface for water to sit in and open up the cracks even more ? :mad:
    Just think about what you posted.

5. DannyDoLittle

DannyDoLittle Active Member

I was thinking more along the lines of filling with an epoxy based resin then colour match.. Not just colour match. I should of been clearer.

6. Wadders

Wadders New Member

Hi, many thanks for your replies. Here are a set of pictures of the gaps.

Alex

Attached Files:

7. Wadders

Wadders New Member

And another picture.

Alex

Attached Files:

8. Wadders

Wadders New Member

And a final one.

Thanks for the advice. I'm totally new to this but am really enjoying the work.

Alex

Attached Files: