Fixing for shower screen to panelled stud wall?

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by ContainerTown, Jan 24, 2019.

1. ContainerTown

ContainerTown New Member

Is it safe to fix a heavy shower screen to a panelled stud wall?

I have read this guide www.bathroommarquee.co.uk/installation-fixing-panels/, which suggests using wood/metal 'spacers' to prevent crushing the panels.

Can anyone share an example of a spacer fixing?

The shower screen will be fixed only on one side with a shower arm, so that the entrance to the shower is the empty space on the other side: Is a stud wall strong enough to hold an 8-10mm shower screen?

2. dcox

dcox Screwfix Select

I don't think I'd chance it if the wall is plasterboard. If cement board such as Hardibacker then maybe. 8-10mm is indeed going to be very heavy. The best option (in my opinion) would have been to position a stud where the screen would be anchored, or let in a piece of 18mm ply between the studs and behind the plasterboard or cement board for the screws to bite into.

3. ContainerTown

ContainerTown New Member

Thanks for the reply!
    I can screw the anchor into the stud but it has to go through the panel. Would you use a special fixing to give added strength here? As above, I read that 'spacer' fixings can be used but google isn't helping here.

4. dcox

dcox Screwfix Select

Are you worried about the panels distorting where the fixings are? If they’re the solid type with ply or similar faced with plastic then I’d have thought you’d be fine. If it’s the lightweight corrugated plastic type then yes, I think the panel will crush and I don’t know what the solution would be.

5. ecoplumbing

ecoplumbing Active Member

The spacers are just a small washer type fitting to prevent the pvc cladding from crushing when tightening screws. I usually just cut some 10mm pipe to act as spacers but you can buy online to suit the thickness of your cladding

WillyEckerslike likes this.
  6. ecoplumbing

ecoplumbing Active Member

7. ContainerTown

ContainerTown New Member

Thank you dcox and ecoplumbing, very helpful. Will get cracking. Cheers.

8. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member

Get a hole saw a good bit smaller than whats being fixed. Then holesaw it out pack the hole with stainless washers to the required depth to prevent crushing. Then screw the fitting or bracket to it. Fill it all with silicon to prevent water getting.