Fixing Glass to Stainless

Discussion in 'Engineers' Talk' started by Bear Man, Jan 4, 2006.

1. Bear Man

Bear Man New Member

I wish to fix a plate of glass to a stainless upright. Since the joint will be visible, I'm intending to drill holes in the glass and fix using M6 bolts.
    Any special taps required for the stainless, or any other thoughts on a better way to fix the glass. (Glue is not an option because the joint will be visible).

2. jasonb

jasonb New Member

Standard HSS taps will do the job fine. Use a suitable cutting oil if you have it, if not a drop of 3in1 will help.

Depending on what you are making you may wish to consider some form of plastic or rubber cushioning around the screw.

Have a look at this site for some glass fixing options www.prefit-fittings.com look under shop fitting/stand off fittings

Jason

3. Hitch.

Hitch. New Member

Is the stainless box section? Unless its a substantial thickness you may find it better to drill right through.

4. Gusset

Gusset New Member

5. Bear Man

Bear Man New Member

I'm trying to fit a bath in a place it shouldn't really go - Damn architect put the soil pipe in the wrong place - and I didn't notice until it was well too late. Anyway, the bath end panel needs to have a shower screen on, and the side of the bath needs a conventinal shower door. I decided to attach some glass to an equal angle stainless post, and seal it around the bath over the end panel, and allow this to support the normal curtain door.
    It's 60 * 60 *5mm angle, so the 6mm thread should be fine.

Couldn't think of any alternative......