Fixing handrail to newel post...?

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by syholl, Nov 16, 2004.

1. syholl

syholl New Member

Ok, so i'm starting the staircase job...

Can anybody with any previous experience tell me whats the best way to attach the hand rail to the newel post without any nails showing...?

I've come up with a couple of solutions, but i'd love to know what the correct way of doing this is...

Many thanks

2. carpenter

carpenter New Member

tell us what u think first if it is no gooi will tell u the best way. you have to try first or ther is no point

3. carpenter

carpenter New Member

handrails sorry mate was only jokeing. the easy way is to drill two 13mm holes both sides of top of rail 1/4 of the way pilot the holes after sink to screws and plug it. sorry mate dont forto glue it first. 2nd way is called a hanger bolt and the last way is a mortise method. no wrong or write way you do which you think easy good luck

4. nigel

nigel Guest

Should not ne using any nails .

5. big all

big all Screwfix Select

i normaly mortice and tennon with offset dowels
    you can ether make a feature off the dowels or cut them flat

big all

6. syholl

syholl New Member

Cheers for the advice. Sorted it now. I used holes with countersunk screws as mentioned above.

Solid as a rock, and i didn't use any nails....

Thanks for the help

7. carpenter

carpenter New Member

syholl well done mate. stairs look hard but the moor you do the easyer it gets,any problems with your mates job , this is the site