Fixing into plasterboard with no cavity

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by Dan Sallis, Dec 7, 2019.

1. Dan Sallis

Dan Sallis New Member

Hi all,

I recently bought a house and I need to fix some curtain pole brackets to the ceiling by my patio doors.

I took one of the light fittings out to see what the construction of the ceiling is and it isn't just plasterboard with a cavity as I thought it was (I was planning on using Easyfix Hollow Wall Anchors). The gap is between 2-5mm. Below is a photo of what the ceiling construction looks like.

IMG_20191207_121324 (1).jpg

How would I fix curtain pole brackets to this? What fixing type should I use?

Thanks in advance

2. You have a lathe and plaster ceiling which has been overboarded with plasterboard.
    You could use spring toggles or preferably find the joists and screw to them which would be at 14" to 16" centres.
    You could also fit a piece of 2x1 par grip filled to the plasterboard, countersunk and screwed to the lathes.

3. Dan Sallis

Dan Sallis New Member

Thanks for your reply @Deleted member 11267

I can't use spring toggles I am afraid since the curtain pole ceiling bracket has 3 equally spaced holes quite close together, so I think the ends of the toggles would get in the way. I also have to put the brackets in specific places which unfortunately isn't on a joist.

Could you explain the last point you made in more detail? I am not sure what you mean.

4. Get some par (planed) timber slightly wider than the brackets, probably 3x1 rather than 2x1. There are lathes under the original ceiling nailed to the joists which gives the original plaster a key to hold it up.

You can countersink the 3x1, gripfill it (grab adhesive) to the ceiling and screw through the countersunk holes into the lathes or even the joists, depends which way they are running.

Now fix the brackets to the 3x1.

WillyEckerslike likes this.