Fixing MDF Skirting

Discussion in 'Getting Started FAQ' started by Roebuck, Oct 22, 2018.

1. Roebuck

Roebuck New Member

Hi,

I have a cob (chalk and flint) wall on an internal wall upstairs (between where cottage was extended years ago). I do not intend to dry line the wall, but retain the original character of 'warts and all!' As I had a 25Kg bag of left-over coving adhesive and another of plasterboard adhesive I have 'repaired' the surface by 2-3" and filled it back to the front face. (I know this is less than ideal and don't need reminding that conservationists would advise lime mortar, etc. The property is not listed). In the past I have used Tarmac Limelite as it is a compromise that overcomes the problem of traditional lime finishes and gypsum plasters, which do not work well against one another.

The wall is not straight, and the cob background simply breaks up or deflects drilling on the flints or provides no support at all. The original skirting was fixed to wooden pegs driven into the wall, then nailed - as you'd expect. I don't doubt that this is the right way, but I don't want to do it.

Given that I still have a fresh bag of Knauff plasterboard adhesive to use up, will it stick MDF skirting and gap-fill any irregularities at the same time? I've asked Knauff Technical and they said they don't know. They advised trialling a sample. Has anyone any experience-based comments, please?

Thanks.

2. goldenboy

goldenboy Well-Known Member

Far easier is to get an expanding foam gun and a can of gungrade foam.

Superb way to fix skirtings.

3. Roebuck

Roebuck New Member

Goldenboy,

Thank you for quick reply. I had forgotten that I had already read previous advice about foam (opinion clearly agrees). I was hoping to make use of what I have, rather than spend £25-35 on a gun I'll maybe never need again.

Any idea if (powder type) plasterboard adhesive will stick to MDF?

Cheers.

4. goldenboy

Should be able to pick up gun for less than £15.

If you have an old property you wont regret buying one.

Loads of uses for insulating, fixing, filling etc, and if you keep the can on and don't clean it one can will last for ages

I don't know about drywall adhesive.

I wouldn't have thought the moisture in it would be great for the MDF

5. Roebuck

Roebuck New Member

Goldenboy, thank you. You're right, Cob tends to stay moist (in order to stay bound), however, I did the downstairs over 18 months ago with kitchen wall re-faced with Gyproc on batten, the dining area on previously plastered, and the (reverse side) sitting room on previously dry lined, and used the same MDF skirting with grab adhesive. Because the wall is now in the middle of the house (having once been the rear outside) I suspect the moisture level is minimal/acceptable. Touch wood, there have been no issues with the downstairs skirting.

I'll certainly look at getting a foam applicator gun if I can find one for £15. Thank you.

6. sospan

sospan Well-Known Member

I would paint and seal the mdf before fixing to the wall. I haven't used nails or screws to fix skirting for years. When you buy the foam for the gun, I has to be adhesive foam not expanding foam.

You are going to need something heavy to hold the skirting upright and against the wall as the foam goes off. Toolboxes are ideal or use something like shelf brackets with something heavy on it.

7. longboat

longboat Well-Known Member

8. Richard_

Richard_ Active Member

You don't have to get a gun, some manufacturers supply with a straw option as well. Sometimes called dual valve.

Also wear decent nitrile gloves or washing up gloves if you don't want your hands stained for the best part of a week!

9. chippie244

chippie244 Well-Known Member

The pink foam comes with a straw, it's not as good as a gun but it works for a one off.

10. goldenboy

I use standard foam. Its absolutely fine for fixing skirtings in my experience.

11. goldenboy

I loath using the non gun foam.

One of the key things about use of a gun is the control you have. neat even beads etc.

12. goldenboy

Look at Screwfix's biggest rivals. The one's who still have a free coffee machine.

13. Richard_

Richard_ Active Member

Adhesive foam had a lower expansion rate, so if you use it to put up plasterboard the boards won't move out.... if you leave the foam to stand for 5 min.... and then it moves anyway!

14. Richard_

Richard_ Active Member

I've never had a free coffee in Argos. o_O

15. goldenboy

Genuinely never had a problem with either over expansion or de-adherence with standard foam. I have done miles and miles of it too!

16. goldenboy

Its Ann Summers I was referring to.