fixing plaster board to ceiling

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by penz, Mar 26, 2007.

1. penz

penz New Member

I intend to fix plasterboard over an existing 'celetex' ceiling. I've been advised to fix noggins between the joists and along the walls to get extra strength and avoid future cracking - is this necessary?. Also some say nail and some say screw the sheets - again is the use of screws unnecessary.
    I would add at some point I intend to convert the roof space in the future, so maybe that should influence what I do now.

2. penz

penz New Member

I intend to fix plasterboard over an existing
    'celetex' ceiling. I've been advised to fix noggins
    between the joists and along the walls to get extra
    strength and avoid future cracking - is this
    necessary?. Also some say nail and some say screw the
    sheets - again is the use of screws unnecessary.
    I would add at some point I intend to convert the
    roof space in the future, so maybe that should
    influence what I do now.

in addition - would the fitting of herringbone struts across the joists be a worthwhile exercise.

3. it's best to fit extra noggins to avoid sagging...they will also double up as herring bone struts...fix boards with screws, movement/people walking will cause nails to pull out

4. penz

penz New Member

Thanks for the reply - just a couple of things - would you use the noggin as a fixing point for the sheet and how far apart should the noggins be set.

5. Hover Tim

Hover Tim New Member

Yes you can do this and for the centers for the noggin well that depends on the size of your board a common size for plaster bord would be 1200mm so the noggins need to be at 600mm centers ie from the center on one noggin to the center of anpoter noggin should be 600mm

6. SteveClamps

SteveClamps New Member

Gotta use screws not nails, as said before screws give you a much better fixing and dont **** up the board when you miss. and Yes noggings are a must, all joists should have noggings anyway to stop them twisting. do try and put them at the walls also will be a pukka job then.