Fixing Plaster Coving

Discussion in 'Painters' Talk' started by Stuart W, Mar 16, 2010.

1. Stuart W

Stuart W Member

I'm about to fix plaster coving to a newly plastered bedroom (ceilings and walls).

Do I need to seal the plaster first? And if so, is the mist coat sufficient to do this?

Many thanks.

2. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Draw a pencil line around the walls and ceiling to where the cove will be put, then apply a coat of PVA around the walls and ceiling at a mixture of 5:1 (water/PVA).

3. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

Why ?

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

4. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Why ?

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

You mean you don't know?

5. Mr. Handyandy

No, I mean why do you think it's necessary!

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

6. ecm

ecm New Member

I don't think it's necessary either Hands. Why would you want to seal the wall with a PVA solution before applying an adhesive to bond the coving to the plasterwork behind the PVA solution.

Surely, that's introducing a film, ergo a weakness in the bond between the coving and the substrate, no?

7. Guttercat

Guttercat New Member

Absolutely necessary and Astra's bang on it.

If you don't do it, you will regret it... I know, because I made this very mistake.
    Never again.

8. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Why ?

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

To stop the moisture in the adhesive from being pulled into the plaster too fast, also aids final positioning by allowing the cove to slide about a little.

That's why!

9. Mr. Handyandy

But coving adhesive sticks to bare plaster like sh|t to a blanket. Need to chisel it off. It becomes one. Not so with PVA barrier. And it's not like a skim of only 3mm, it's thick, so doesn't dry as quick as maybe a skim would.

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

10. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

I don't use plaster coving adhesive...it takes no prisoners, been using Artex for the last 30+ years with no problems.

11. Mr. Handyandy

Artex is not an adhesive, it is a covering. It WILL dry chalky and NOT stick properly if the moisture is drawn out too quickly.

Bit like dotting and dabbing with plaster as the 'adhesive'!!! :(

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

12. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

"It WILL dry chalky and NOT stick properly if the moisture is drawn out too quickly"
    Probably best to coat with PVA first then :)

13. Handyandy,

Artex has been used in new build for years as an adhesive for coving, and for filling joints. Artex is the <u>only</u> type of plaster that sticks to wood.

I agree though that there is absolutely no need for any PVA, suction can be controlled with the constituency.

Some people use 'solvent free no nails' for coving, I've seen coving fail due to high humidity in bathrooms & kitchens. I believe it's down to the reactivation of the PVA base used in these products.

14. Goodwill

Goodwill Member

"I agree though that there is absolutely no need for any PVA, suction can be controlled with the contituency".

So is suction out on the hustings, I wonder? ;)

15. decortyke

decortyke New Member

Ive never applied a mist coat or pva prior to fixing coving/cornice. I usually soak the ceiling and wall where its going. It works for me.

If its fibrous plaster cornice it doesnt hurt to wet that as well, front and back, prior to fixing. Makes it a lot easier to keep clean.

16. Mr. Handyandy

Artex has been used in new build for years as an adhesive for coving, and for filling joints. Artex is the only type of plaster that sticks to wood.

Aye, and is one of the first complaints of new dwellers, of the cracks appearing twixt coving, wall and ceiling.

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

17. Guttercat

Guttercat New Member

Artex has been used in new build for years as an adhesive for coving, and for filling joints. Artex is the only type of plaster that sticks to wood.

Aye, and is one of the first complaints of new dwellers, of the cracks appearing twixt coving, wall and ceiling.

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

Should've PVA'd it first. ;)

18. potty painter

potty painter New Member

The very mention of PVA often sends a shiver down my spine with regard to this trade. But for the purpose mentioned it's a must.

Potty.

19. Stuart W

Stuart W Member

Everyone - thanks for replying.

Do I take it that the mist coat will not do the job?