Fixing Skirting board

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by egon, Dec 20, 2003.

1. taffy

taffy New Member

thanks thought i was the only one still using wood screws and plugs good enough for woodsmith good enough for me

2. Dewy

Dewy New Member

I use screws on skirting. I dont bother plugging them as most skirting is behind furniture so it's easy to remove if needed.

3. big all

big all Screwfix Select

if you like the look dewy
    brass cups and screws

4. woodsmith

woodsmith New Member

Sorry taffy, I said that not a clue could use screws as a nail gun is expensive. But I usually use a Paslode.

:(

Keith

5. taffy

taffy New Member

into ruabon reds ???

6. big all

big all Screwfix Select

your ok keith

iwould use no nails
    dewy said he didnt mind screw heads
    so i was suggesting making a feature
    nice brass screws and cups
    if that what turns you on

big all

7. woodsmith

woodsmith New Member

taffy, there is usually some plaster to grip to and the brads are only there to hold the skirting whilst the Gripfil sets. I drive them in at an angle and they grip pretty well. Like you say if they hit a hard brick then:(

big all I have used the brass inset cups, lined up all the screw heads "north south" and the job looked great, but a lot more work and time and cost.

Same with drilling, counterboring, plugging and screwing and plugging, takes a long time.

8. paddyb

paddyb New Member

I'm thinking of buying a paslode! Which gauge nails are best to hold the skirting while the gripfill sets, 16g or 18g or the framimg paslode (big nails), that will determine which paslode to get as long as it does a few other things. which is the best one to get?

9. Ali45392

Ali45392 New Member

10. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

11. Dot99

Dot99 Member

+1 for screws and plugs. I have some speaker, ethernet, hdmi cabkes running behind the skirting, so for accessibility screws and plugs for me. Saves damage to wall if they need to come off. I will be using the yellow plugs. Not long lengths(max 1.8m) of skirting being fitted.

12. Bill Parsons

Bill Parsons New Member

Your only old if you still use a plugging chisel & timber off-cuts in mortar joints to take your fixings. " Still the best method for door frames in roughly cut-out brick openings "

Last edited: Apr 25, 2018