fixing spindles

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by twice_knightly, Feb 22, 2006.

1. twice_knightly

twice_knightly New Member

Could somebody please tell me the best way to fit/fix colonial stair spindles? I only have a straight run on the landing to do but after cutting all the spindles to length the fun started...

I tried glue and panel pins but when I hit the panel pin the top fell out and I couldn't line it up staight! Worst still I thought I'd fixed some of them but then the next one pushed the handrail up slightly allowing the others to fall out..arhh

I need them to obviously be secure but I can't seem to fix them without them either spinning round or falling out.

Any help would be much appreciate, thanks.

2. chappers

chappers Member

are you fixing them on a landing with no base rail or groove in the hand rail and therefore no spacers. If so then your best bet is to pilot your spindles first to take your pins make sure the pins are still a fairly tight fit. Put two pins in the bottom of the spindles at right angles to each other to prevent them twisting

3. dunc

dunc New Member

You must have a secure, level as possible handrail and newel posts first.

Fit 2 or 3 of the spindles to the mid area of the hand rail. You have to glue and pre drill and pin. Make sure they are plumb and tight. Let them set firm.

Then work along and finish the run. Use you mitre saw to trim each spindle carefully to fit.

4. SDSMax

SDSMax New Member

Don't bother with pinning! just glue them top and bottom with "no more nails" or similar and let them go off overnight - nothing will move 'em after that.

5. twice_knightly

twice_knightly New Member

Thanks for the help guys. Yes I am fitting them to the landing which doesn't have a base rail or a groove in the handrail.

Today I've managed to glue them using wood glue but haven't pinned them. They seem pretty solid, would it be OK to leave them like this or should they really be pinned?

Cheers
    Carl

PS..never thought of no-nails, used old fashioned wood glue instead.

6. bobthebuilder944

bobthebuilder944 New Member

Thanks for the help guys. Yes I am fitting them to
    the landing which doesn't have a base rail or a
    groove in the handrail.

Today I've managed to glue them using wood glue but
    haven't pinned them. They seem pretty solid, would it
    be OK to leave them like this or should they really
    be pinned?

Cheers
    Carl

good thinking batman,no nails is **** and for bodgers
    PS..never thought of no-nails, used old fashioned
    wood glue instead.

7. bodget&scarpers

bodget&scarpers New Member

just temp fix one with a bracket then remove when u get 2 it,or tie it with sashcord 2 stop it moving, or even brace it off the ceiling :)

8. SDSMax

SDSMax New Member

good thinking batman,no nails is **** and for
    bodgers

like hell it is!

9. bobthebuilder944

bobthebuilder944 New Member

good thinking batman,no nails is **** and for
    bodgers

like hell it is!

It is,really

10. Binfield Carpenter

Binfield Carpenter New Member

Some thoughts on this .....

If the hand rail has not got a groove on the underside you must use more than just glue to secure the spindles. Sometime in the future little kiddie will crash into a spindle with trike, break top glue and entire spindle will break away .... could be a real pain cleaning up mangled toddler from bottom of stairs.

The challenge is to keep the rail from rising when you drive pins or screws up into it .... method I have used before is to screw a substantial hoot or ring into the floor where the base rail would be if you had one and use a ratchet strap looped over the hand rail to pull the rail down onto the top of the spindle. Best to do this in several places. You can then drive pins upwards through the top of the spindle into the rail and remove the ratchet when the glue has cured.

Since you are relying on all those glued joints it would be better to create a more positive joint by gluing and pinning thin strips along the underside of the rail to create a groove. This would then provide lateral support to the top of the spindle to help it withstand toddler on trike. Should do the same at floor level too.

I came across a house recently where a previous occupant had done his own balustrades with glued spindles without proper support. Several spindles had come completely adrift and small child had gone over the edge. No damage fortunately but ....

Graham

11. Mof

Mof Guest

I usualy put sash cramp across to stop the h rail gradualy creeping up especialy on long runs of hand rail, or just keep sighting along top to keep handrail straight.

12. Scottyboy

Scottyboy Guest

Is there space to glue/pin a quadrant moulding up either side of the spindle bases to create a makeshift groove to sit them in.

Ideally cut 95mm spacers to glue between spindles as well.....just a thought.

I'm no joiner, but I wouldn't dream of having only glued spindles.

I lived in a rented Bett home with spindles which did at least have a small raised ridge on the base rail and grooves in the spindle bases and the whole thing was close to being a death trap.