Fixing Sweet Chestnut T&G cladding vertically to summerhouse

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by Damodog, Jul 30, 2021.

1. Damodog

Damodog New Member

Hi,

I have 130mm wide sweet chestnut T&G boards to fix vertically on the front of my summerhouse I've built. I have double battens behind with Tyvek so that's all good.
    My question is, due to the width of boards, and chestnut being a hardwood I've read I should use 2 fixings through the face. I was originally hoping I could secret fix them through the tongue but that doesn't seem strong enough considering the board width. I'm ok using face fixings if I have to. I know I need to use stainless steel fixings (due to tannins in the wood) and I'm curious if anybody has done something similiar and if so what were the type of fixings you used?

I originally thought about nails but am now thinking a screw with a featured head (like starshape head) would be good. Maybe something like this https://www.silvatimber.co.uk/countersunk-stainless-steel-cladding-screws but doesn't have to be countersunk (if it would sink well into sweet chestnut?).
    Any tips or pointers? Thanks.

2. candoabitofmoststuff

candoabitofmoststuff Screwfix Select

This video references horizontal cladding, but the principles referred to still apply... Have a watch;

Good luck,
    Cando

chillimonster likes this.
  3. Damodog

Damodog New Member

Thanks Cando. I'm using tongue and groove so i'm wondering more about the types of stainless steel screw fixings usable for a hardwood like sweet chestnut with this profile. The timber is air dried and not green so quite stable.