Fixing timber batterns/stubs to a concrete roof slab

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by Fixing timber batterns studs to a concrete roof sl, May 3, 2010.

1. Hi Guys,

I need some quick help, the house has a single storey solid masonary extension, with a solid concrete roof slab. As you can imagine it was freezing, so we fixed timber batterns to the ceiling and walls and infilled with insulation, then a membrane and plasterboard....fixed the batterns with screws and raw plugs, had the whole lot plastered looked really good. Then diaster the whole ceiling has come down!

What I'm after is advice as to what to try now, it was the raw plugs and screws in the concrete slab that failed. Can anyone advise as to the best fixing method?

Thanks in adavance.

Adam

2. hallbeck

hallbeck New Member

Have a look at the multi minti fixing available on here.

3. hallbeck

hallbeck New Member

minti = monti!

4. Hi,

Thanks for the advice, daft question do these require raw plugs? or is it just a question of drilling a pilot hole and then driving these into the concrete?

5. hallbeck

hallbeck New Member

No plugs needed - drill pilot hole and drive in - they cut their own thread.

6. -chippy_john

-chippy_john New Member

Something is not right here, battens properly screwed and plugged to a concrete ceiling won't come down.

What size drill, plug and screw?

Do you have an SDS drill?

(If the OP can't fix a batten to the ceiling with screws and plugs I don't see that multi montis will help much).

7. Hi Chippy John,

The screws were either no. 8's or 10's 3 inch. We drilled 7mm holes in the slab and plugged using brown wall plugs. The timber battens are 35mm thick.

Yes purchased one today.

Thanks,

Adam

8. -chippy_john

-chippy_john New Member

If you only just bought an SDS drill today it's doubtful that your first attempt was actually fixed to the concrete slab.

With a 35mm batten straight onto concrete a 75mm screw is just about OK, but if there's any plaster on the concrete I'd go for a 5mm X 100mm screw.

9. doing a bit

doing a bit New Member

if you used 8's gauge screws in brown plugs that could be your problem, when you screwed them in did they pull in and start to squash the timber ?? or just spin and not pull up ?

10. 999

999 New Member

Pulled up and squashed the timber

prat

x

11. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

Your problem is probably that you have used a 75mm screw and 35mm batten, which means only 40mm of screw going into the concrete/rawlplug.

That doesn't even come out the end of a brown plug. The plug should be below the surface of the concrete, the hole should be deep enough for the screw + 10mm, and the screw must pass through the plug, not stop part way.

For me, it would be 85mmx5mm screw, 95mm depth of hole(includes 35mm for batten-so 60mm hole in concrete),7mm drill-bit(if the plug is loose, use a 6.5mm drill-bit), it should tap in and stay in.

Mr. HandyAndy - Really