Fixing timber to underside of catnic

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by starbuild, Nov 5, 2006.

1. starbuild

starbuild New Member

I am looking for a method of covering the underside of a cavity wall catnic steel lintel with timber. Is it permissible to drill holes into the steel without affecting the lintel's performance?

2. nearnwales

nearnwales Member

you can dot and dap a board to it no problem

3. starbuild

starbuild New Member

I am thinking of something heavier than just a board.

4. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

Say what board ?

Mr HandyAndy - Really

5. starbuild

starbuild New Member

Something that 'looks like' a wooden supporting beam about 8 feet long, but of a fabricated box section, about 12 inches wide and 6 inches deep.

6. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

I would start off(assuming you have an I beam) using a piece the same width as the lintel and fixing it to the lip with 'L' stretcher plates, fixing the plates to the wood only, and lapping the lip(if you see what I mean).

Then you can fit what you like to it.

Mr HandyAndy - Really

7. nearnwales

nearnwales Member

why would you want something haavier than a plaster board ? its on the underside of a head !

8. starbuild

starbuild New Member

Thank you for those replies.
    The lintel is a 'top hat' version. Is is to support a cavity wall above an exterior opening onto a garden area.
    I want it to look as though the wall is supported by a wooden beam without there being any visible signs of the catnic.
    I hope to construct my own 'hollow section' timber beam so as to save on weight and cost, but need to be sure it does not sag in the middle, and therefore needs to be held tight up against both flanges of the catnic.
    How do I achieve this tight fit in the middle?

9. foxy

foxy New Member

How about welding some threaded studs to the underside and bolting the box onto those.

10. Mr Kipling

Mr Kipling New Member

I would be tempted to drill a 3.5mm hole and stick a No.8 screw into it.
    If this is on your house wall, don't forget to add the necessary thickness of plaster board to act as a fire protection.

11. splinter2

splinter2 New Member

Self tapping screws