Fixing to a Lintel

Discussion in 'Getting Started FAQ' started by Gingerbaz, Dec 9, 2018.

1. Gingerbaz

Gingerbaz New Member

Hi,

Currently planning a garage conversion will a small extension on the side, part of this will involve adding a second door in the single skin brick wall. I have read a lot about how to do this and how to install the lintel. One thing i am unsure of is when you install the new door frame do you fix this to the lintel, if so what is the best method? The existing lintels in the garage above the doors are box lintels

Thanks,

Baz

2. Isitreally

Isitreally Well-Known Member

There should be no need to fix the head of the frame if you fix it correctly on the sides.

3. Jord86

Jord86 Well-Known Member

Unless it's an unusually wide doorframe, don't bother with mechanical fixings in the head, once frame is fixed in position through the jambs, squirt expanding foam all around the back and head to close any gaps, insulate and further secure in position, it'll be solid.

4. Gingerbaz

Gingerbaz New Member

Niceone thanks, i have read that beams need to be covered in fireproof plasterboard, i have seen this done with I beams with wood noggins, is this also the case for box lintels, if so what is the best method?

5. Isitreally

Isitreally Well-Known Member

If its a single skin wall, use a concrete lintel.

6. Gingerbaz

Gingerbaz New Member

So looks like i will not need to fix into it then, if it was a necessity would adding a couple of fixings to a box or concrete lintel impact its structural integrity?

7. Jord86

Jord86 Well-Known Member

Theoretically yes, realistically no.

8. Gingerbaz

Gingerbaz New Member

Perfect, thanks again.