Fixing to ply lined transit

Discussion in 'Car and Van Talk' started by dvddvd, Jul 18, 2018.

1. dvddvd

dvddvd Well-Known Member

My 2013 swb transit has been ply lined out with 6mm plywood.

I want to fix some wooden racking to one side.

I've looked at lots of ideas and was going to build it from 12mm plywood.

I was going to get a 8 X 4 sheet cut into 300mm x1220mm strips, have 4 of them as up rights and the rest as the shelves, then beef up the shelves with some 2 X1 softwood. Maybe have some plywood fronts too.

Building the actual shelves is no problem but how's best to fix the wooden racking to the 6mm plywood walls? I'll take the plywood off and see what's behind it tomorrow.

Any ideas most welcomed

2. Jord86

Jord86 Well-Known Member

Keep the ply on. Angled L brackets, self tapping screws, grip fill, CLS, 2x1 and 12mm ply is what I used for mine, full CLS rack with three levels on the right, 2x1 rack on the left before the side door opening.

3. dvddvd

dvddvd Well-Known Member

Hi many thanks, I've just took the ply off to see what was behind it and where the fixing are.

I have a riv nut gun so may put some rivnuts in the vertical pieces on the body and fix the ply better, it only had a few self tapper in.

4. dvddvd

dvddvd Well-Known Member

To scribe the up rights to the shape of the bodywork.

Is it best to stand piece of plywood where it's going and cut piece of scrap timber to size of the gap and with a pencil scribe round using the scrap piece of timber thanks

5. Jord86

Jord86 Well-Known Member

Yes, at the largest point of the gap.

6. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Well-Known Member

Surely, where the ply lining is fixed is the place to add new fixings for your racking

These areas ‘should’ line up with metal ‘ribs’ (?) supporting the sides of the van. Just need to know what length screw to use so you don’t come out side of van ! :eek:

7. dvddvd

dvddvd Well-Known Member

There was only a few self tappers holding the ply, I will mark out the ribs on the ply and re fix the ply thanks

8. DIY womble

DIY womble Active Member

Any way you can design it removable , just in case