Fixing to wood behind tile

Discussion in 'Tilers' Talk' started by CharlMil, Sep 30, 2019.

1. CharlMil

CharlMil New Member

Hello,
    I need to fit a shower bar to a tiled partition wall.
    I have fixed a wooden batten behind where the shower bar will be. My question is how to fix to this? Do I drill the tile and then screw directly into the wooden batten through the plasterboard? if so what size drill bit and what screw is best for the weight? Or do I need to use a plug or another fixing? I can’t use a plasterboard fixing due to the batten behind.

Thanks

Thanks

2. furious_customer

furious_customer Active Member

I would screw directly into the batten with a wood-screw - maybe a 6 x 40mm screw.

I would first drill through the tile with either a tile bit or a masonry bit (use a bit of masking tape over the tile to stop the bit skidding if you do it this way, and make sure the drill isn't on hammer action) and stop drilling when you are *just* through the tile - don't keep drilling into the batten.
    The diameter of the drill bit should be at least the same as the screw - maybe even 1 or 2mm wider.

Now, swap the drill bit for a HSS drill-bit that is half the diameter if the screw - and use this to drill a pilot hole into the batten.

Offer up the bracket for your bar and screw it in.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2019
  3. CharlMil

CharlMil New Member

Thanks for your suggestion! I think that’s the perfect answer! Could I just ask, shall I drill through the tile and the plasterboard to the batten? Or just through the tile?

4. CGN

CGN Well-Known Member

Drill through tile and PB. PB is soft, so a wood screw will drive through it regardless. Put a blob of silicon in the hole before you put the screw in.

WillyEckerslike likes this.
  5. CharlMil

CharlMil New Member

Thanks! What’s the silicone for? Are tiles easy to drill? Never done it before! Do I need to use a rubber washer to stop the tile from cracking against the screw head?

6. WillyEckerslike

WillyEckerslike Well-Known Member

The silicone is to prevent water getting through the hole
    Not all tiles are easy. Porcelain can be tricky but most ceramic are okay.
    Isn't there going to be a fitting between the screw head and the tile? The slightly oversize hole is to minimise the potential for the screw causing more damage as it's tightened.

CharlMil and CGN like this.
  7. CGN

CGN Well-Known Member

Ceramic are pretty soft, so a masonry bit will do, but don’t use hammer action. I just put a bit of silicon to seal the hole if ever water gets behind. Rubber washer not required. Tighten up with. A hand screwdriver. Tight, but not too tight.

CharlMil likes this.
  8. CharlMil

CharlMil New Member

Thanks guys!! Could I Just ask as well...
    I need to fix a mounting bracket for the shower riser.. it’s just plasterboard being where I need to fix it again tiled on top.
    What’s the best anchor/plug for this?

thanks

9. WillyEckerslike

10. LEH

LEH Active Member

When I fitted a Hansgrohe one in my house it was supplied with Fischer UX plugs - quite a surprise to get decent fixings. The Duopower do look a bit better from what I've seen in tests on youtube.

11. CharlMil

CharlMil New Member

I’ll give the duo power a try then! 6 or 8mm?

12. WillyEckerslike

That will depend on the size of the screw that comes with the fitting.

Edit: This hole doesn't want to be oversize. Unlike previously where you were fixing into a stud, here you are relying on a snug fit between the plug and the tile/plasterboard. The plug will protect the tile from the screw in this instance.

13. CharlMil

CharlMil New Member

Ok they’re 8mm but they’re probably not long enough so I’ll just use another screw that fits! Thanks guys!