fixing wall plates

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by clueless jon, Oct 8, 2008.

1. clueless jon

clueless jon New Member

HI all, please can someone explain what my plans mean when they say 'wall plates fixed down with brackets @ 1200 c/c and clips @ 450 c/c'?
    i assume the brackets are what i call restraint straps but what are the clips? I can't get hold of the plan drawer to ask him, and need to get on with it.
    Its an open roof design (no ceiling joists) so i assume the wall plate needs to be well fixed to the wall so i want to use the right thing.
    Thanks if anyone can help.
    also should the straps be nailed or screwed to thermalite?
    thanks a lot
    Jon

2. you just hand the restaint straps on the wall plate, screw into the wall plate with wood screws and screw into the blocks with screws into brown wall plugs.

3. bigjules

bigjules New Member

1200mm centres is IMHO a little excessive - NHBC requirements are 2000mm centres.

Straps should be min 1200mm long, bent at 100mm, screwed to wallplate and min 3 screws and brown plugs to wall as previous post.

4. ­

­ New Member

5. Rizzo

Rizzo Member

The idea is that if you get a wind strong enough to lift your roof the straps will ensure that the top two courses of blocks goes with it, thats assuming that your two inch screws and plugs hold tight. It really is a load of bo***s. Millions of roofs seem to stay put without them.

6. Rizzo

Rizzo Member

The idea is that if you get a wind strong enough to lift your roof the straps will ensure that the top two courses of blocks goes with it, thats assuming that your two inch screws and plugs hold tight. It really is a load of bo***s. Millions of roofs seem to stay put without them.

7. doing a bit

doing a bit New Member

as said long bent straps on to wall and plate and screwed onto both, the reason for the shorter centres is because you have no ceiling joist to tie wall plate into as well, when you plaster go over the top and bond em in too. if you dab boards on then dab over them to bond them together

8. The South

The South Member

my chippy nailed the straps to the wall plate, then I nailed in to thermalites with 3" galvanized nails - couldn't see the point in raw plug and screwing them!!

9. sinewave

sinewave Screwfix Select

Nailing or screwing anything to Thermalites that requires any sort of structural integrity is a waste of time.

Thermalites fall apart, crack or snap off mortar joints just by sneezing near em! :(