Fixings?

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by Shedmen, Oct 29, 2006.

1. Shedmen

Shedmen New Member

I have a job to make up a load of 900 x 1.8 rectangular panels framed in 38 x 38 par faced with 6mm ply. Currently I am gluing and screwing the ply with 3.5 x 25mm screws. Any recommendations as to what type of nail and gun might do the job quicker. I am screwing currently as I feel it is giving a stronger fixing until the glue has gone off. With only 6mm sheet I feel nails or pins might not get enough hold?

Any thoughts as I have a bundle of these to do.

Thanks
    Shedmen

2. malcolm1417

malcolm1417 New Member

Hi Shedmen,This job is done within the caravan industry by,
    glueing and pinning each frame one on top of the other.
    When the height becomes unworkable,a board covering is then put on and weights onto this.Old containers filled with water make very good weights.This pressure is enough to give very good results.I realise this method is only possible if you have the space,so i hope this is of help
    Mal.

3. !!

!! Active Member

internal or external

4. limestone cowboy

limestone cowboy New Member

I used to use an air brad nailer and polyurethane glue to do a similar job but I hate trailing hoses, wires etc so now use the Dewalt nailer. I already used the batteries and charger so got the naked machine.

5. trimking

trimking New Member

for 6mm ply a narrow crown stapler gives the best hold, a brad nailer doesnt shoot nails with a large enough head for a good grip

6. Shedmen

Shedmen New Member

Thanks all very useful

Shedmen