Flaking paint on pebble dash, repaint

Discussion in 'Painters' Talk' started by DMcD, May 5, 2020.

1. DMcD

DMcD New Member

House is circa 1900 two storey, exposed location. Paint was flaking badly on windward side so have power washed with petrol washer and sprayed on a funguside as there was red algae. Some areas have come back to bare masonry but most has an old layer of paint. Surface seems sound now but quite patchy. Plan on using weathershield, first coat watered down but reading through forums here wondering if that is the right call or not.
    My question is should I:

A) Apply a stabilising primer such as duluxs solvent based one ? And two coats of regular weathershield. (Should the primer be used on the entire wall or just on bare masonry areas ?)
    B) Apply a thinned down coat of weathershield and then two top coats?
    C) mix something through the first coat of paint

Any advice would be much appreciated.
    Dan

2. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

In this situation an oil base Primer Sealer would be a perfect choice dabbled on the patchy areas. No need to thin the Weathershield once the bare areas are sealed.

DMcD likes this.
  3. DMcD

DMcD New Member

Hi Astramax,
    Thanks for your reply. Happy to use the primer but isthere any potential negative with using the primer? Only reason I ask is it says on back of the weathershield tub "do not use primer to seal sound new or bare surfaces".

4. DMcD

DMcD New Member

This is what I am dealing with IMG-20200506-WA0000.jpeg

5. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Exactly......'Sound or new bare surfaces', the primer also means a stabilising solution, your surface is not new and bare but is reasonably sound so patch priming would be the way forward.
    To satisfy your concerns look on internet at Albany Primer Sealer and read the uses.

DMcD likes this.
  6. DMcD

DMcD New Member

Cool. Thanks for the advice. Will invest in some primer

7. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Oil based! ;)

DMcD likes this.
  8. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Albany is a Brewers paint name and they are closed at the moment you may be able to buy other brands of Alkali Resisting Primer such as Crown elsewhere or even online mail order from
    The Paint Shed.

9. DMcD

DMcD New Member

Does it need to be alkali resistant? Was just going to go with Dulux or crown all purpose oil based primer. No sure our local would have anything else and eager to get done when weather is good.

10. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Yes, stick to what I advised I 100% know from experience it does what it says on the tin and binds and seals the surface ready to apply the masonry paint.!

DMcD likes this.
  11. DMcD

DMcD New Member

Thanks mate. Will do