Flaking varnish refresh advice

Discussion in 'Painters' Talk' started by mellie_man, Jul 29, 2018.

1. mellie_man

mellie_man New Member

IMG_3133.JPG hi all

Got some windows to refresh and not sure best approach for a good but quick option. (16 windows and a conservatory to do)

Firstly, is current finish (been on at least 10 years) a varnish over woodstain or something else?

If so, is there a way of over coating with a coloured varnish (once flaking is sanded) that will look ok and last a while.

My other option would be Zinsser Allcoat / Bedec MSP in a wood brown colour. Would this need Zin Bin primer to prevent woodstain leaching through.

Thanks

2. Wayners

Wayners Screwfix Select

Strip back. Sand. See how bad the rot is as you will need to fill with resin( repair care)

mellie_man likes this.
  3. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Agree fully with Wayners, then colour with Sadolin Classic and finish with Sadolin Extra both excellent products. could also research Bedec Barn Paint in the Jacobean Walnut semi gloss finish another top quality product, water based, easy brush clean and fabulous finish.

mellie_man likes this.
  4. mellie_man

mellie_man New Member

Thanks for the responses.

I know what the 'best/correct' way to do the job is but the client(and friend) doesn't have the money for a full strip down. I haven't dealt with stained/varnished windows for years so just wondered if advances had been made as in paint. I've used Zinsser Allcoat and Bedec MSP recently and like it over Weathershield.

Astramax, what's the advantage/difference between Barn paint and MSP.

Might have to do half windows this year and half next!!

All opinions welcome

5. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

I do not like the poor opacity of the MSP where as Barn Paint covers and flows very well.

mellie_man likes this.