Flaky paint on ceiling

Discussion in 'Painters' Talk' started by Tangoman, Aug 30, 2004.

1. Tangoman

Tangoman Well-Known Member

I have carefully stripped the artex off a ceiling. The existing plaster is exceedingly sound, but it had been painted prior to artexing and in places the paint is a little flaky. The main area looks sound, although I have removed bits of paint here and there with the artex.

If I simply seal with diluted undercoat I run the risk of the existing paint then deciding to come off bringing the new with it.
    Any ways round this? - Good ideas for taking the paint off completely? If it's going to be a real hassle then I'll just reskim it, but open to other ideas! (Other than putting lining paper up!)

Tango

2. dewaltdisney

dewaltdisney New Member

I have just done a ceiling. I stripped the Artex off but there were still small chalky bits left up. I actually paid for a plasterer to re skim it, as I doubted myself doing the job, and noted that he put a diluted PVA up first and then plastered straight on whilst it was still wet.

Went on fine and he did a nice job.

DWD

3. Tangoman

that's option #2 dwd! Since the ceiling is in such good nick I was hoping to get away without a reskim. It's a hassle to do the ceiling as I need to hire scaffolding so if I can seal and paint then great.

Thing is I don't think PVA'ing and then emulsion straight on is a good idea so looking for a possible alternative...

Getting resigned to skimming at this point in time :(

Tango

4. nigel

nigel Guest

Mix pva in the emulsion and paint?

5. Thermo

Thermo New Member

give it a coat of pva first and leave it a few days then a few coats of emulsion allowing each to dry fully will do the trick. I wouldnt mix the paint and the pva it will knacker its composition

6. jay

jay New Member

seal it up with anything oil based undercoat prefferably leave it to dry light sand and then 2 coats of emulsion that will stop all flaking and will seal it up fine

7. Tangoman

Cheers guys,

I've gone over it with a sander and I think what's left is firmly stuck now so I'm going to give it a go with emulsion straight on. If this doesn't work then thanks for the Plan B.

Just glad I don't have to skim it - bloody hate doing ceilings!

Tango