Flashing to Windows

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by Dereekoo, Dec 27, 2011.

1. Dereekoo

Dereekoo Member

[​IMG]Hi all. I am in the process of doing some drawings for a rear extension to my house with a view to self build next year. Because of existing windows position, trying to attain required roof slope,maximising size of extension and keeping internal side walls height to 2150mm the roof is coming right up to the corner of one window. Is it feasible to lead flash around this or will I have to drop/steepen the roof and do a "standard lead flshing detail. Cheers for any advice. The pics show the line of the roof indicated by the string line

2. Dereekoo

Dereekoo Member

Better picture [​IMG]

3. T

T Member

is that finished roof or truss line, consider dropping pitch, tile manufacturer should give info on minimum pitch lap.

4. Dereekoo

Dereekoo Member

Thats the top of tile line. Pitch of rafters 22.5 degreees which means tiles will lay at approx 17.5 degress which is minimum pitch for Modern Interlocking tile so cannot drop the pitch

5. Dereekoo

Dereekoo Member

Oops, sounds like I have got the wrong understanding of allowable pitch of tiles. As I now understand it, when the manufacturers says a min pitch of 17.5 degrees, this means the pitch that the rafters can be laid to even though the actual pitch of an individual tile will be less than this because it has to rest on the back of the tile in front of it (if you see what I mean?) So I can now drop the above roof line from 22.5 to 17.5 which will mean I will miss the corner of the window by about 120mm which should give me room to do the necessary flashing.

6. Dereeko, you still would have been able to get the flashing in okay, so long as you had someone good at lead work.
    But if you can drop the pitch, even better.

7. Dereekoo

Dereekoo Member

Cheers CB, even though I can drop the pitch I may raise the roof back to under the window so I get a bit extra depth on the internal side walls. As for getting someone good at leadwork, when I say self build I mean selfbuild (except for plastering and maybe gas lines) Wish me luck (if I ever take the plunge)