Flatpack Vs Rigid kitchen

Discussion in 'Kitchen Fitters' Talk' started by caslin, Mar 4, 2007.

1. caslin

caslin New Member

I'm putting in a new kitchen . Has anyone got any experience with the flatpack and rigid kitchens supplied by screwfix. It`ll cost me roughly £600 for flatpack and doors but £1300 for the equivalent in the rigid pack. Is there a vast difference in the quality?

2. Wayne K

Wayne K New Member

Not with screwfixes stuff, but rigid is not necessary better, look at MFI, Schreiber carcases are **** & not as good as the Hygena range. They are almost identical except SH are only held together with glue & not very good glue at that, a lot of the carcases were not even square when they stapled the backs on, at least with the HY you can make sure the cacases are square before you fix the backs & they are cam & doweled, if you wish you can glue them also, making them even better than the rigid SH range, but I feel that is unnecessary.
    I sometimes do the odd fit for a company who sell rigid kitchens, but really they are manufacturing flatpacks & knocking them together before they send them out.

3. Guest

Flatpack are fine ! but I only buy 18mm carcasses ( MFI or Howdens )

4. Ricicle

Ricicle New Member

Flatpack everytime for me.
    Easier to notch, cut holes in for pipes, reduce in depth etc.etc.etc.
    You will always get a far sturdier construction, with the dowel & cam lock system of a flatpack, (knowing you have put it together yourself helps aswell!!)

A good fitter can put a standard flat pack unit together, in the same time it takes to get the plastic wrapping off a rigid unit anyhow!!

R.

5. dopleganger

dopleganger New Member

Flatpacks for me as well - best flatpacks I have found are Wickes - much easier to cut out for pipes, taps etc.,

6. i fit

i fit New Member

I've heard it all now!!
    You lot stick to your flat pack and i'll stick with my rigid units.
    All delivered with doors on and drawers and wire work fitted.
    Piece of ****.
    ;)

7. You lot stick to your flat pack

WITH KNOBS ON ?

8. Bond Mitrebond

Bond Mitrebond New Member

I find that there is very little difference between the flatpack and rigid. Most people who offer rigid units are only flatpack already built
    The only difference is the fact you have to build up the flatpack yourselves

9. Jonny Round Boy

Jonny Round Boy New Member

Depends on the price range - I'd rather fit a more expensive flat-pack than a cheap pre-built.

If you are fitting a cheaper pre-assembled kitchen it tends to take longer to fit due to the fact that all the carcases are usually well out of square. I'd rather build them myself & know they're square!

10. i fit

i fit New Member

I've never such a load of rubbish.
    Hopeless, the lot of you.
    You should be posting **** like this in 'just talk' along with the rubbish spouted by the rest of the nutters on here.

11. Guest

I've never such a load of rubbish.
    Hopeless, the lot of you.
    You should be posting **** like this in 'just talk'
    along with the rubbish spouted by the rest of the
    nutters on here.

SUM GRAMA IN IT !

12. STGO

STGO New Member

really dont know the problem i fit has with this thread, its his own personal opinion regarding flat pack or rigid, but why he thinks its ok to spout and hiss like this i dont know.
    He left sfx in favour of trusted tosspots, so why cant he stay there and leave us alone to our nice polite chats and discussions.
    ??

13. Binfield Carpenter

Binfield Carpenter New Member

Decision for me is based on location, access and storage.

If the kitchen is down a corridor and the delivery point / storage is in the garage I'd go with flatpack. If delivery point and storage area are close I'd go with rigid.

In terms of quality there are good and bad suppliers of both.

Graham

14. 2 a week

2 a week New Member

I agree with your comments ..

15. bernieeccles

bernieeccles Member

I don't mind either as long as the backs are solid and not hardboard.

Solid backs will almost certainly mean the units are square and you can always " beef up 2 a unit with some black carcass screws in units where the end is not seen.

Sometimes,it is impossible to get a 900 x 900 rigid corner base through the doorway into the house.

16. ­

­ New Member

A good fitter can put a standard flat pack unit
    t together, in the same time it takes to get the
    plastic wrapping off a rigid unit anyhow!!

R.

Do you live in a different time warp to me then? So your flatpacks don't come wrapped then?

In my experience it takes maybe 30 seconds to unwrap a solid carcass and at least 15 minutes to unwrap THEN BUILD a flatpack properly.

And don't mention drawers............

I've seen people on forums say they can build a flatpack carcass in 2 minutes. I'd have a £5,000 bet with them that they can't.

Any takers?

17. STGO

STGO New Member

the unit builders at moores furniture could mate, dont go shouting that challenge too loudly up at Wetherby ;)

18. starlight tiles

starlight tiles New Member

rigid all day chaps.anyone saying they'd rather mess round on the job assembling them,falling over them,basically wasting a lot of time and then surprise surprise there are pieces missing.guaranteed every time.betcha the flatpack lads charge the same price as well and take all the rubbish away.good lads,