Flex in newly installed fence posts

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by Elliott323, Mar 26, 2021.

1. Elliott323

Elliott323 New Member

I've started fitting new fence posts and panels in my garden.

I've tried to do everything by the book... post holes are dug 2 foot deep by about 10" diameter ive used apprx 1.5 bags of postcrete per post and left propped up with batons over night.

The posts are standard 3" diameter 8ft long timber. with 6 ft high panels fitted.

There seems to be an amount of wiggle at the top of the post after being left for a few days. and during some strong winds you can see the top of the post moving by about 2cm.

The base of each post looks sound, no gaps between cement and post or cement and earth. Is this just a degree of flex in the timber post and is it anything to worry about? And is there anything i can do to improve this on the remaining posts i need to fit?

Thanks in advance.

2. Hager the Horrible

Hager the Horrible Active Member

I've always used 4x4 posts for fences but wood is flexible so some movement is to be expected and less than an inch of deflection at the top of a 6' post is bugger all.

3. Elliott323

Elliott323 New Member

I would have gone for a larger post and better quality panels but the fence is a shared responsibility with my neighbor and they have done sod all to help with the cost or labour, so didnt fancy doubling the cost...

Thanks for the reassurance though

4. Kas228

Kas228 Screwfix Select

Ditto, it’s the 3 inch post causing that movement. I’ve always used 4 inch posts on a 6’ panel height. There is less flex in that amount of timber.

Elliott323 likes this.
  5. Elliott323

Elliott323 New Member

I've since ordered some 4x3" posts for the rest of the job as I feel this will provide a little more rigidity back and fourth, but without looking too obviously different from inside my garden

6. Kas228

Kas228 Screwfix Select

Good idea, let us know how it goes.

7. Severntrent

Severntrent Screwfix Select

If the base haven't moved and the tops return to the original positions after the winds have lessened cannot see what the problem is, better flexing than blowing over.

8. Elliott323

Elliott323 New Member

I've fitted the 3x4" for the remainder of the run and its noticeably stiffer than 3x3, it was worth making the swap half way through haha. Thanks for your input guys

9. stevie22

stevie22 Screwfix Select

The stiffness has more than doubled in fact. (From 3x3x3 = 27 to 4x4x4 = 64)