Flex play on skirting boards

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by DIY_Has123, Mar 6, 2022.

1. DIY_Has123

DIY_Has123 Active Member

Finished installing some lengths of skirting and noticed there is some play of couple mm between fixings (every 60cm) towards the bottom of skirting where it touches floor. Along the top there is no play as its been secured with grip fill and second fix brad nails.

Is this normal?

I mean many youtube tutorials I have seen like below there is usually a void/gap behind the skirting so there is bound to be some flex/play right??

2. Jiml86

Jiml86 Screwfix Select

Yeah it can be. Once it's flat against the wall theirs no issue

3. DIY_Has123

DIY_Has123 Active Member

Hard to get it flat as I imagine 9 times out of 10 walls are not flat so excess plaster or material behind is raked out.

Wondering if its worth drilling small pilot hole between fixings and filling with expanding foam which dries hard behind and prevent flex. I mean its only 1 to 3mm flex.

4. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

Do you spend much time day to day pushing and prodding the bottoms of the skirting boards? Leave it, it's fine.

5. DIY_Has123

DIY_Has123 Active Member

Lol you're right. I spend too much time thinking and worrying on small details.