flexible filler in a hot spot?

Discussion in 'Painters' Talk' started by limestone, May 2, 2010.

1. limestone

limestone Member

Anyone got any ideas for a filler I could use behind a log burner. It has multiboard directly behind it, but the plaster board that the multi board is mounted on has been put up on a metal framework (think dry lining). The problem is that when the fire/room heats up the metal framework expands slightly and the joints at either side of the 8 x 4 board crack.

I've tried, about 5 types of normal powder filler, decorators cork, and fire cement but all of them have cracked once the fire has been on for a while.

Any ideas for a filler that is flexible, smooth (or can be sanded) and won't crack ?

Thanks in advance :)

2. potty painter

potty painter New Member

One of the best is a product called Toupret, however I am not certain it will solve your problem.

Potty.

3. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

I think you would be very very lucky to find a filler to not crack due to the movement caused by the extreme heat, however a good quality silicone rubber may be worth a try as it would far be more flexible than any powder or 2 part filler.

4. potty painter

potty painter New Member

Yes I agree, and also have grave reservations toward silicone being capable.

You say the board is 8 X 4, if perhaps this is situated into a reveal it may be possible to apply a wooden bead. Fixing it to the reveal not the board.

This will ensure that the board will expand beneath the beading and in all intense and purposes the crack will be hidden.

Just a thought really.

Potty.

5. Have you thought of possibly using a collar if it involves any pipework? Or possible a metal edge trim to ovelap any gap?

Ntt sure if this will help but I've had simular problems in the past and found it give a very long lasting result and it can look good.