Flexible tap tails - connection to isolating/service valve

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by diymostthings, Sep 30, 2013.

1. diymostthings

diymostthings Well-Known Member

I think this might have been asked before but couldn't find it. The free ends of the flexible tap tails on our new mixer tap (after connecting the other ends into the tap) end in a nut with a flat flange with a flat rubber washer against the flange. The thread on this nut fits a standard 15mm compression isolating/service valve (with screwdriver slot for "on/off") which I would like to use. However, as you know, these isolating valves don't have a flat end for the rubber washer to bear (and seal) against - just a (quite sharp) edge.

Question: Is it OK to tighten the nut on the tail onto the thread on the isolating valve and rely on a good contact with the rubber washer against the rather sharp edge of the isolating valve, or should I use another fitting which has got a proper flange to mate with the flange on the tap tail. If the latter what fittings are out there for me to use- I can't find any!

Thanks for any comments/answers

diymostthings

Jimmycloutnail likes this.
  2. tom.plum

tom.plum Screwfix Select

3. Dave does Gas

Dave does Gas Screwfix Select

This can be done but as you say can cut the washer if your not carefull, so for best practice fit flexi hoses with iso valves fitted or from the ballofix valve use a 1/2" male iron to copper fitting then attach the flexi to that.

Dave

4. diymostthings

Thanks Tom- well if its good enough for you, its good enough for me! I will get a couple of those fitting though just to try.

diymostthings

5. diymostthings

Thanks Dave does Gas. Well I did think about grinding a better flat on the valve to accecpt the washer but Tom has shown me an alternative approach and I'll look into yours as well.

Thank you

diymostthings

6. diymostthings

Dave does Gas - Just noticed your solution is the same as Tom's.

Thanks again

diymostthings

7. itchyspanner

itchyspanner Member

you can buy brass tails designed for this purpose that sit inside your iso and give you a proper flat surface. about £2 for a pair. screwfix dont sell them tho, but the opposition do.

8. teabreak

teabreak Screwfix Select

Thanks for the tip Itchyspanner I hadn't seen those.

9. tom.plum

tom.plum Screwfix Select

who's the opposition itchyfanny is it toolstation?. i've not seen them before iether and at £2 a pop I don't think I'll se then for anytime soon ;), but thanks for the info, :)

10. diymostthings

Thanks for that itchyspanner. I'll try to track that down but to give me a clue does the supplier "fool the nation" if you get my drift!

diymostthings