Flexible toilet soil pipe leaking (bodge suggestions please)

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by chilly, Jun 19, 2021.

1. chilly

chilly New Member

Hi, looking for some advice please..

Got a toilet with a flexible soil pipe which goes into a tiled boxed area in the bathroom. There is no access inside the boxing to get to where it connects to the main soil stack, apart from VERY difficult access through the garage ceiling beneath. On the opposite side of the previously external wall is also a shower room with another toilet back to back with this one feeding into the same soil stack.

The bathroom toilet has been fine for years but at some time recently the flexible soil connector is leaking, only slightly dripping, but enough to smell and having to catch it with a yoghurt pot, yum. I'm not sure if the gap in the joint has always been there but you can see some separation of the outer ring of the push fit connector from the rest of the flexible fitting, but not all the way around, mainly at the bottom with the top still being together.

The odd thing is that it is mainly dripping when the toilet in the shower room is flushed, but strangely not so much when this toilet is flushed. So the waste from the shower room toilet must be being forced up the pipe.

My questions are, first, could there have been enough pressure to make this fitting fail whilst in-situ? I do remember at some point both toilets being flushed at exactly the same time. But it definitely was not leaking when I moved-in.

Secondly, and more importantly, can this be fixed (bodged) to stop it leaking and not risk it completely failing and causing a right mess? I do not want to destroy the boxing to replace the pipe (full room retile) and would rather not have to go through the garage ceiling. Is there a risk the connection will just completely separate and pop-off (I assume they are factory welded)? Would a seam of Plumbers Mait/silicone or some form of tape hold it together/stop the leaking assuming nothing coming out of there is under much pressure (it only drips)? I have not tried pulling it appart but it currently seems pretty tight fitting, not loose.

Just want to explore every avenue before destroying things to replace the whole flexi pipe. I have tried to squeeze the connection together again but was reluctant to put much force on it in case it broke completely.

Thanks.
    flexipipe1.jpg flexipipe2.jpg

Last edited: Jun 19, 2021
  2. dcox

dcox Screwfix Select

That end section might click off to reveal the seal. You could try a sealant that’s designed to stick to wet surfaces such as CT1. Try filling the groove with it. It’s good stuff but messy to work with.

3. just pumps

just pumps Screwfix Select

Wouldnt need to be a full room retile with a little imagination. This is a good example of why I hate flexi`s so much, sooner or later there will be tears.

4. chilly

chilly New Member

Thanks. @dcox, do you know if the end section is indeed factory welded/glued closed or a click/push fit on these fittings? I presume it squeezes together to trap the rubber seal inside? I've only handled one of these once in the past not in situ and didn't analyse how it was constructed at the time.

I found where to get some CT1 or similar and I guess how well it works will depend on its 'grab' and how much pressure is behind the leak. Suppose I could also wrap some maksking tape around over the sealant to keep it seated in the groove, but the constant worry is if the end section is likely to seperate further.

5. dcox

dcox Screwfix Select

No idea on your particular one. Odd that it seems to be affected by flushing the other toilet as there’s quite a downhill gradient on the pan connector. Do both toilets empty easily? Just wondering if there’s a partial blockage lower down.

re CT1: It’s a similar consistency to normal silicone so won’t be difficult to get it to stay in the groove. Squirt it on then take away the excess with a spreader.

6. teabreak

teabreak Screwfix Select

CT1 is good stuff but I doubt it will work you need to totally fill the joint around the pipe and remove any dirt before hand. What will work is Denso tape wrapped around the pipe a couple of times and smoothed down with your hands.
    If you think CT1 is messy you ain't worked with Denso tape! Horrible sticky stuff that you cannot get off hands of tools without using White spirit best cut with a hacksaw blade (too cloggy for a knife or shears!) brown and ugly but it will work! Maybe wrap it in some other white tape to disguise it if the look offends!;)
    https://www.mrcentralheating.co.uk/...bMJ_P7QIXDSoPIOH06926LLhwO1q2buIaAkLDEALw_wcB
    Our hosts and most builders and plumbing stores stock it.

7. pppmacca43

pppmacca43 Super Member

So Is the leak coming out where it’s started to separate? That part clicks together, you’ll be lucky to get it back together tho in situ.

I agree with DCox, my first thing I’d try is silicone, or ct1. Dry it all off and then put a load around the gap all the way round. Shouldn’t need to wrap tape in to hold it in place, it’s just like silicone. If that doesn’t work the denso idea is good too, very messy stuff tho but will most likely do the job.
    If it’s the flexible fins, which isn’t doesn’t look like it is, new pan connector needed imo.

8. chilly

chilly New Member

@pppmacca43 yes, the leak is comming out of the openned-up joint at the bottom. If that will click together (can confirm it won't in-situ) then I could try taking everything off the toilet and try that. But yeah, thats higher risk as might damage the rubber seal or flexi fins so will first give CT1 or similar, then tape in addtion if needed a go. The Denso tape does look like a messy nightmare but bet it would seal pretty much anything.

@dcox, I can't understand either why it mainly leaks when the other toilet is flushed as it must have enough force to be pushed upwards into this flexible pipe. Both toilets flush and empty easily though so no sign of anything backing-up under normal use.

Thanks all, will let you know how I get on.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2021
  9. pppmacca43

pppmacca43 Super Member

It is messy and looks rubbish but it would almost certainly do the job. I think CT1 smeared in the gap is worth a go first tho :)