Flickering in the LAP plinth lights

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by George Thomson, Nov 24, 2021.

1. George Thomson

George Thomson New Member

Hey there I've seen a few threads in regards to these lights.

I did a job for a friend and out these in as stair lights, using the supply from the front door light switch feed and neutral.

Ran a cable under the floor and simply put a double socket under there to plug in the two sets. I'm getting the annoying light flickering problen when the switch off, in my stupidity I used an LED driver that must have had too hight an ampage as it quickly burnt the lights out. I'm struggling to find an adequate led driver for them (Ive replaced the lights) any recommendations?

2. Teki

Teki Screwfix Select

Too high a current LED driver does not damage LEDs so long as they are fixed voltage. If you purchased the wrong type of driver, then that could have resulted in the damage.

Most LAP products are built to a price point and not always reliable.

Are you referring to the NAMPA and why did you not use the supplied drivers?

You added a double socket from a nearby light switch?

3. George Thomson

Yeah, I fitted it underground with only the sole purpose being plugging in the plinth lights.

4. Teki

Teki Screwfix Select

You should ideally have a fused spur with a 5A or 3A fuse fitted from the light switch, feeding the sockets to avoid someone plugging in a higher power appliance into the sockets in the future. The sockets should also be labelled to indicate that they are taken from a lighting circuit.

Does the light switch have a permanent live, switched-live, neutral and earth connection present?

5. George Thomson

I did that after first first encountering the flickering problem. 3a fused unswitched spur. The socket was under a floor that was was exclusively for the plinth lights so didn't feel the need to label it as I doubt you'd be plugging a hoover in it lol.

Yeah it's a permanent feed and neutral supply I'm using.

6. Teki

Teki Screwfix Select

You should also bring the earth to the socket as well.

What was the reason for using a different driver to those supplied?

Can you link to the driver that you tried.

7. George Thomson

Yeah it's earthed as well.

No, i'm using the plug in driver supplied and that's what causing the flickering. I read here previously that the LAP driver supplied is cheap and is what the problem is. I can't find the thread but was looking for if anyone had a recommend driver to buy.

8. Teki

Teki Screwfix Select

How are you switching the lights on and off?

9. George Thomson

These ones I am using.

10. George Thomson

11. Teki

Teki Screwfix Select

I know you have used the NAMPA as mentioned earlier.

Is it the same light switch as the front door light?

12. George Thomson

Yes.

13. Teki

Teki Screwfix Select

Is it a standard light switch or dimmer/smart?

14. George Thomson

Standard.

15. Teki

Teki Screwfix Select