Floating shelves - normal thickness and can they be changed once up?

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by Coggy23, Feb 29, 2020.

1. Coggy23

Coggy23 New Member

We had a joiner fit two floating shelves in our living room alcove yesterday. They're well made and fitted but are a lot thicker than we imagined. Originally we were told 3.5 inches but 4 inch (10 cm) ones have been put up, however even the 3.5 inches would've been too thick I reckon. It's hard to judge properly until they're up and we put our trust in his advice.

Regrettably I've been at work and my girlfriend has been here for him to do the initial measuring and starting the job. I got home as he was finishing off yesterday and when I mentioned the thickness, he did look concerned and said this was required to prevent sagging. I'm looking for some advice here as I'm not sure I believe that, the alcove is about 110cm wide and we don't plan on putting anything heavy on the shelves.

I also can't find any examples online of shelves that are as thick. The 'chunky' ones I come across are normally half the size of ours. I just wondered if anyone could back him up with the thickness?

We're pretty gutted as we've worked hard decorating the room and this was the last finishing touch. With the typical method of installing floating shelves how easy would it be to get them thinner? We would have to correct the wallpaper/paint that they're currently flush with but that wouldn't be too difficult.

2. Mr A greig

Mr A greig Member

My bookshelf is 50mm and spans 1.8m.
    Look underneath to see if there is any screws.

3. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

What material are the shelves actually made from?

4. Mr Rusty

Mr Rusty Screwfix Select

I can understand why he has done this, because sagging shelves look bad. The solution to thinner floating shelves is to incorporate some steel. Some angle or square tube works well across the front, and you can then go much thinner.

Coggy23 likes this.
  5. Coggy23

Coggy23 New Member

To be honest they've grown on me and are fine to leave as is. Probably just an initial panic of them not being what we expected

6. koolpc

koolpc Screwfix Select

Pic would be nice