Floating Stairs - rough price?

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by Unclehr, Jan 21, 2019.

1. Unclehr

Unclehr Member

Hi all,
    Going to be moving into a bungalow and start a loft conversion pretty much straight away. Would really like the staircase to be a floating one ideally like the second one below but if the wall isn't solid I guess we'll need something like the first one

https://imgur.com/a/XYWGnje

Any very approx ideas on prices? These are pretty simple structures so I am hoping they would be cheaper than a standard built staircase. Doesn't have to be solid wood either - happy with something like MDF we can just paint as long as it's strong enough.

thanks in advance

2. stevie22

stevie22 Screwfix Select

Your stairs will need to comply with building regs. These have no banister and gaps > 100mm between treads

Unclehr and AlvyChippy like this.
  3. wiggy

wiggy Screwfix Select

Standard staircase £200 + 1 day to fit
    Cantilever staircase £3000 + 1 week to fit
    Ballpark

Unclehr likes this.
  4. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

If you are going to do a loft conversion the person doing the plans will be able to specify the stair and give you an indication of cost and the implication for things like building regulations.

Unclehr and AlvyChippy like this.
  5. Unclehr

Unclehr Member

Thanks - if the treads were 90mm apart, would a banister on only 1 side be compliant?

6. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

Part K of the building regs covers stairs.

Your maximum rise allowed per tread is 220mm, coupled with a minimum going(tread depth) of 220mm, and the maximum pitch allowed is 42degrees, all of this is based on a regular domestic staircase, not a loft conversion set. Unless you were using 100mm thick solid timber for the treads, your treads won't be 90mm apart.

I would steer clear of floating treads personally, they are a costly, dangerous, grand designs type gimmick, potchy pain in the rectum.

7. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

And they certainly won't be cheaper than a standard built staircase, nowhere near.

wiggy likes this.
  8. wiggy

wiggy Screwfix Select

Cantilever stair brackets are £250/300 EACH x12/13 plus treads

9. wiggy

wiggy Screwfix Select

Really mate :)

10. wiggy

wiggy Screwfix Select

Look at open riser stairs

11. Unclehr

Unclehr Member

OK you've put me off!

But do you have any other ideas on more of a budget minimalist staircase - rather than a feature it will be in the living room and we would like it to be as invisible as possible

12. Unclehr

Unclehr Member

Just saw that wiggy - would you point me to a web image of what you think wouldn't cost the earth to knock up?
    ta

13. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

The guys opening post " these are pretty simple structures so I am hoping they would be cheaper than a standard built staircase" I thought it was a bit of a daft statement to be honest.....

14. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

You can't make stairs invisible unless you opt for a pull down loft ladder. Look up "space saving stairs" but it doesn't really matter, as stated earlier in the thread, Building Control will confirm with you what criteria your stairs will have to meet, as you've good floor space being a bungalow, I would think they will want a standard staircase.

15. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

And your not allowed a pull down ladder for a "habitable" space.As Wiggy points out you are looking around £3,500 upwards for something that won't initially get signed off by building control

Realy Unclehr, you are starting at the wrong point and wasting a lot of effort and you are not going to to get anywhere. You can't just plonk a stairs into a bungalow and then plan a loft conversion around that. You need to get the floor plan and then the head room sorted as you may find you can even fit a straight stairs in and may need a winder.

Unclehr likes this.
  16. wiggy

wiggy Screwfix Select

open_hardwood.jpg

Unclehr likes this.
  17. Unclehr

Unclehr Member

Wiggy are those bars to ensure there isn't a 100mm opening, or for strength/design (or both) ?

Previous residents have the plans already with a straight staircase and was just hoping to make something a little more invisible. Seems like the price of subtlety is 1000s. Maybe I'll just buy some camouflage paint.

18. wiggy

wiggy Screwfix Select

Unclehr likes this.
  19. wiggy

wiggy Screwfix Select

Single stringer stairs could be another option but I would have thought the cost would be similar if not more than cantilever stairs

9a3d143e604e0924ec6a6ea4f16f17a5.jpg

Unclehr and Astramax like this.