'Flog it' with 'lashings' of ginger beer.

Discussion in 'Just Talk' started by Astramax, Oct 13, 2015.

1. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

When in Rome etc, blah, blah. The guy has lived their for 25 years and been caught with home made alcohol, was he not aware of the rules or just lucky for the last 24 years?

2. Yeah, a civilised punishment from a civilised society.

Sorry, I meant religiously retarded.

3. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

Doesn't stop them drinking and visiting houses of ill-repute when over here, Hippocrates.

4. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

Are they doctors? o_Oo_O

PaulBlackpool and goldenboy like this.
  5. joinerjohn1

joinerjohn1 Screwfix Select

Nah, just billionaires . :p:p:p:p:p

6. Ryluer

Ryluer Well-Known Member

Some people think they can flout other countries laws and traditions that have been in place for centuries. And hopefully will be in place for centuries to come. Arabi is very civilised. It amongst a few countries where you can actually leave your car with the keys still in the ignition and come back hours later and find it still sitting there. Unlike blighty.

7. joinerjohn1

joinerjohn1 Screwfix Select

So,, why do they come over here to drink our alcohol? Surely it's against their religion too. (or do they just stop being religious when the plane lands at Heathrow ??

8. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member

Yep its still sitting there but there is a suspicious bloodstain on the carpet and a pair of hands shoved in the glovebox.

Ray Retired and Coloumb like this.
  9. Coloumb

Coloumb Screwfix Select

Ha ha

10. proby

proby Active Member

You might not like or agree with the laws and customs of other countries but if you go there you know what to expect if you break their laws no good mowning later. Bit like going to Russia to do a bit of plane spotting not the best thing to do.

11. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

One thing that gets me with ex-pats, you leave this country to go and live in another country for the lifestyle. However, many refuse to integrate and accept their laws and language so why go there. Then when things go wrong plead back that you are British and need help. The guy knew the penalty no matter how extreme it was and went out to break it.

How would we feel if all the migrants and asylum seekers over here refused to obey our laws and then got there government to intervene ?

Sometimes I think we should adopt the old eye for and eye. The story of the old boy this week, beaten severely by burglars and then left to probably die, if they received the same treatment and a custodial sentence somewhere harsh, violent crime would drop drastically.

12. Sospan, meet Ry. Ry, Sospan.

Ry: "Arabi is very civilised. It amongst a few countries where you can actually leave your car with the keys still in the ignition and come back hours later and find it still sitting there."

Where do we begin with their 'civility'? Torture? Beheadings? Repression of women and persecution of homosexuals?

But as long as Ry can safely leave his keys in his car, then awesome.

Sospan: "...if they received the same treatment and a custodial sentence somewhere harsh, violent crime would drop drastically."

On what evidence do you base that claim? That of 'gut feeling'? "Give 'em a good beating and they'll soon mend their ways"?

Because the irony is, it is quite likely that the thugs who did this (and I have little sympathy for them) have already had exposure to this sort of behaviour themselves over their lives. So what 'good' would an extra bit of beating do them in prison (apart for making a few weak-minded people feel a bit better knowing it's happening to them...)

And in any case, there's a couple of pieces of factual info for you to chew over: We are more civilised in our prisons these days and, guess what, violent crime continues to significantly fall in this country. How do you square that conundrum?

Here's a photo of what you can expect in a prison over in the lovely S-A. 'Civilised' Ry? Really?

And you'd want that in this country, Sos? Really?

(I suspect your finger will be hanging over the 'censor' button, Steve SF, but please bear in mind I am trying to make legitimate points here.)

Attached Files:

• o.jpg
      o.jpg
      File size:
      10.2 KB
      Views:
  13. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

Some of my family spent 9 years in Saudi, They moved there for the life style,e knowing the rules and the subsequent penalties and accepted that it comes with risks if you break the laws. You go to a country you abide by their laws.

Over here,the penalties for extreme crime (battery, rape, etc) are no prevention for the crime. Its true in America they have the death penalty but murder is still high. However, there the culture for many is that being incarcerated for a long time or even death is some kind of status symbol. In the UK whilst we "can" have long prison terms for extreme acts of violence, they are rarely given then often commuted to 50% or less duration.
    If there was a physical deterrent, criminals may rethink their crimes.

14. proby

proby Active Member

Fact remains he was a visitor to their country and chose to break their laws knowing full well what the punishment could be. Don't need to agree with the laws of the country just obey them wile there. As for the old chap that was on the news after being atacked the picture they showed was way worse than that one on DAs post and that's in our civilised country. My view is they gave up all their right to be treated like civilised humans after doing that and regardless of any history they have they are no use to anybody and should be treated like the rabid bogs they are.

15. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

Yep, and he was a "visitor" for 25 years so he knew the rules. I guess he got complacent after all this time.

16. Sigh...

How little we've progressed in so many ways.

First thing, Sos - I made no reference to the punishment given to that particular guy in SA - yes, if you chose to live in an uncivilised country, then you'd better abide by their laws. By that does surely not negate the simple fact that the punishment is absolutely crazy, nuts, driven by religious fervour, disproportionate, etc etc etc?

I was pointing out to the simple-minded Ry that SA is not a civilised country.

As for having punishments that act as a deterrent, guess what, you are right in a roundabout way - they don't really deter, 'cos most serious crimes are carried out regardless of the seriousness of the punishment. As you said yourself, having the ultimate 'deterrent' in the USA does f'all to stop heinous crimes taking place.

Ergo - it is not a 'deterrent'.

So how you can then jump to claiming that a 'physical' punishment would be a deterrent (er, what's more physical than 'death'?) is borne of not using your critical faculties. You have contradicted yourself. Which is no great surprise as you are making claims that go against all the evidence.

And our simply friend Proby has jumped on the unthinking bandwagon - now what a surprise.

17. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

Saudi and Dubai are both contradictions in themselves wanting to be a "modern" country but still clinging on to their "old beliefs"

The problem with a lot (gang members and serial killers etc.) of the death row people in America is that many believe their life will be short anyway, life they life past 30 they will be old. So life for them has no value - theirs or their victims and they belief their notoriety will be their testament. I have had years of this from my wife a criminologist, two daughters a criminologist (one criminal psychologist, criminologist and social welfare) and a son going through a Public Services degree to join the Police.

At the moment in the UK there is no judiciary or penal system that is an effective deterrent. The prisons are full with re-offenders whom the system have failed to turn around and will continue to turn around. I believe we now need to do something more appropriate, if someone steals, we take everything non essential from them. If someone imposes pain on someone then they should be made to experience pain (not necessarily direct physical contact.

In the past I have had guns pulled on me in the UK, been in numerous dodgy situation and had to fight my way out, been interrogated, been stabbed through the hand, had my fingers severed by a knife then had a surgeon test which bones were still good by pulling on them with a forceps with no anaesthetic, had electric shocks applied to me. Experience that once, never again

18. proby

proby Active Member

What bandwagon just saying if you live in a country obay the laws or put up with the punishment. And any body seeing the picture of that elderly chap can see that the ones that did that to him are not worthy of living.

19. Sos, what you have to say is very interesting.

Probs, you are a complete bludy moron. If any type of person ought to be put down, it's those who cannot use their brains.

20. Ryluer

Ryluer Well-Known Member

DA.. you posted an image of two blokes beaten up. For all we know these are images of rapists you posted up.