Flooding.. on new patio/artificial grass

Discussion in 'Landscaping and Outdoors' started by patters78, May 9, 2021.

1. patters78

patters78 Member

Hi

Some help please
    DIY patio & artificial grass job.

Patio has been laid on 100mm MOT1 and full mortar bed, Artificial grass has been laid using 50mm MOT1 and 30mm sharp sand.

So my problem since laying the sand bed down for the grass I now have water not draining away on my patio fall off causing flooding as seen in this picture
    PXL_20210508_072532043.MP_1.jpg
    Now before laying the sand for the grass I would get some pooling on top of the MOT1 but nowhere near this amount, I'm looking for solutions to solve this problem.

I have dug a trench around the lowest points on the patio and its basically clay and water don't seem to be draining at all/or the trench is filling from other areas within the garden here is the trench
    PXL_20210509_132445905.jpg
    That image was taken just after I cleaned down the patio hence all the water in it, I have removed the water to almost nothing and when I checked a few hours later little pools of water had appeared and not gone away all night.
    I have dug down around 40cm I will attempt to go a bit lower tomorrow!

I'm thinking that I need to attempt a French drain and sorry about by PC paint skills but do something similar to the following?
    Untitled.png
    Obviously the red is the drain area leading to a larger square?

Any ideas please

2. dave andy

dave andy Member

Im about to lay some artificial grass so interested as my current lawn is very clay and boggy. I put in a french drain but it's more of a hole with gravel in. This has helped but I'm worried I may have the same issues as you. Will follow with interest.

3. patters78

patters78 Member

I started digging the trench into the middle and found that the clay started to turn into dirt.
    So I've removed all the sand and mot1 dug over all the area to find it's mostly dirt for about a foot and a half across it all.

So I decided to fill my trench with hardcore and now levelled the mud with a slope away from the edge of the patio (previously I tried to get it perfectly level), the foot and a half along with 50mm mot1 and Sharp sand will be enough.

While my grass let's water through its only holes in the grass every so often so my thought is when the rain hits it it's gonna run on top.
    The run off now will be under a raised summerhouse so hopefully won't cause issue