Floor build up

Discussion in 'Tilers' Talk' started by baracus, Nov 20, 2018.

1. baracus

baracus Member

What is the quickest way to build up about 80mm of sub floor on the basis that I want to tile on the surface a few days later?

2. KIAB

KIAB Well-Known Member

How large is the area.

There are rapid hardening screeds like Ardex K15,etc, that can be laid & tiled in a day, Ardex K11 is next day,A23 is a week,there a whole range of them, so check which would be suitable.

A sand cement screed would take months to fully dry before you could tile.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2018
  3. baracus

baracus Member

Thanks, the area is 1.2m2.

I googled Ardex K15 and it seems to suggest that 35mm is the maximum build up

(it says Apply from Feather Edge to 35mm thick)

4. KIAB

KIAB Well-Known Member

Look at Ardex A35,rapid drying cement, unbonded screeds 50mm plus.

Working from memory, not indoors,but in workshop, on phone, can't get linky to work, must get a pc down here.:)

Right indoors now,coffee, & here linky. https://ardex.co.uk/product/ardex-a-35/

Last edited: Nov 20, 2018
  5. baracus

baracus Member

Thanks.
    In practice what ratio of sharp sand to A35 would you use? Also would you NEED a cement mixer to mix it up?

6. KIAB

KIAB Well-Known Member

With regard to mixing you would normally use a force action mixer (screed mixer) which is different to the usual mixer(free fall).
    Without reading the Tech Specs in my earlier, not sure on other mixing methods.

Mix ratio would be usually 5 to 1, but with A35 you can also use clean aggregrate & sharp sand together to make a fine concrete mix for deep area's, again Tech Specs in link should tell you more than I can.

7. baracus

baracus Member

what is a "clean aggregrate"?

8. KIAB

KIAB Well-Known Member

Just clean crushed aggregate,with no fines,which is dust & finer aggregates.

upload_2018-11-20_17-51-26.jpeg