Floor grinding tool

Discussion in 'Tool Talk' started by diy_nixy, Mar 6, 2019.

1. diy_nixy

diy_nixy Active Member

Hello I'm looking for some kind of floor grinding tool like this (see below). For smoothing concrete floor after I have removed the floor tiles. Two rooms to do - conservatory and kitchen.

Budget around £200 - £250.

Is there anything else better for this price. I like the idea of dust shroud and vac attachment to keep dust down. (I already have a vac)

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Festool-DS...1551915562&sr=8-1&keywords=festool+dsg+ag+125

upload_2019-3-6_23-41-7.jpeg

2. CGN

CGN Well-Known Member

Self levelling compound :D

kitfit1, KIAB and goldenboy like this.
  3. kitfit1

kitfit1 Well-Known Member

Does your vac have the ability to suck the entire volume of air and dust out of your house in under a second ? Or is this for a customer :eek:

Either way, CGN is spot on......................SLC is your friend.

4. KIAB

KIAB Well-Known Member

The dust when grinding is tremendous,it gets everywhere,doubt your vac will be good enough.

If it's just old tile adhesive then use a floor scraper (SDS Heller tile lifter,superb tool,from competitor) to remove any high spots, & then level with SLC as recommended by CGN.

upload_2019-3-7_18-45-9.jpeg
    Can hire a SDS Plus drill for a weekend, if you ain't got one.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2019
    kitfit1 likes this.
  5. goldenboy

goldenboy Well-Known Member

Just level it.

Wickes range is very good imo

Often on offer.

Use correct primer, mix it correctly with an Ox mixing paddle in plasterers buckets.

Much easier

6. sospan

sospan Well-Known Member

Hire a proper floor grinder much safer and less dust and you will get a better finish

7. Mr Rusty

Mr Rusty Well-Known Member

Concrete dust will blind the filter of most small vacs in 2 seconds. Either hire the full kit or hire in a grinding service. Or Self levelling.

8. Joe95

Joe95 Well-Known Member

I've got a makita dust hood and cupped diamond blade for the 125 grinder. I've tried it with various vacs, and the only one that doesn't clog is the Festool CTM36 - as it's got an inbuilt filter thumping/cleaning function. Dosen't kick up much dust at all, provided the guard/hood's brushes are in contact with the ground (i.e you are holding it square to the ground)

However, it sounds like you're doing a large area, which would be painfully slow to do with a handheld machine. You'd be far better off hiring a floor machine.

If you choose the self levelling method, make absolutely sure the surface is properly prepared. I've seen two different jobs where the self-levelling had not bonded, and cracked away, forcing up the finished flooring.

9. diy_nixy

diy_nixy Active Member

Thanks all for the advice. Ive taken up all the floor tiles yesterday with SDS and chisel. I also chiselled off all the adhesive. (I decided against grinding it flat - too messy). Floor levelling compound sounds much easier.

Question - do I need to prime or seal the concrete surface before pouring on self levelling compound?.

I have a few large crater areas about 3-4mm deep so levelling will be good. I have a can of stabilising solution lying around from before if this helps. (Everbuild 406 stabiliser)

Note - I am not going to re-tile the surface. Final floor will be laminate + underlay or vinyl-click.

The levelling compound i will use is Mapei from Screwfix

https://www.screwfix.com/p/mapei-ultimate-leveller-1210-self-levelling-floor-compound-20kg/4377v

10. goldenboy

goldenboy Well-Known Member

I would use Wickes/Setcrete range to be 100% honest.

Used it many many times for exactly your application.

Great value, plus 10% off for trade and 4% on top if you click and collect through Topcashback.

Good range of compounds from Universal to High Performance.

You will need to prime. And use the proper primer not a PVA mix as many recommend.

But if you use the Mapei I would have thought Screwfix will sell a matching primer.

What vinyl click are you going to use out of interest?

KIAB likes this.
  11. KIAB

KIAB Well-Known Member

Last edited: Mar 10, 2019