Floor grinding

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by Paul Archbold, Jun 24, 2022.

1. Paul Archbold

Paul Archbold Member

Hi. I have posted on here before about an uneven living room floor (concrete). The floor is very uneven. From the highest to lowest point is about 10mm. We want it level and flat but don’t want to go up by using SLC, as the lowest point is right at the door entrance to the room, which would create a step down to our hallway.

so I suppose I would like to know is how far you can go down by grinding the concrete to get the floor as level as possible? Could I remove all the high points? How thick generally are concrete floors?
    The house is a terraced built in the early 60’s.

any help would be massive.

2. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

What floor covering are you planning on having?

3. Paul Archbold

Paul Archbold Member

Laminate. Quick step

4. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

Despite that you don’t want to, I would rather latex the bulk area of the floor flat and tweak it at the door area rather than using a grinder or scabbler, the dust and mess will be biblical. You could chop out prominent bumps with a hammer drill chiselling function, but a gradual bump over metres or so I would latex over. Flat is more important than level.

5. Paul Archbold

Paul Archbold Member

The bump is In the middle of the room and quite prominent. Would you suggest bring that down and then the door area up?

Last edited: Jun 24, 2022
  6. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

I’d opt for a happy medium and chisel off the worst then latex the whole area. A couple of mm high or low is neither here nor there in reality, though your current 10mm is.