Floor in chalet has started to creak with different heights felt

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by Chocky, Oct 8, 2019 at 5:31 PM.

1. Chocky

Chocky New Member

I have "lived" (I say lived, but I do have access to a shared building next door too, but this is my own room so to speak that I spend most of my time in) in a 16ft by 20ft wooden chalet for 20 years, there is carpet over the floorboards but I can not easily get to the floorboards as there are things I have added over the years that are screwed on the floors (such as a DJ table top) also I have multiple bookcases of vinyl that would be a bugger to move, unless I cut up the carpet. Obviously if I have to, I have to, but before I do I wanted to ask advice.

In one spot of the floor, approx 60cm by 30cm, there is a sinking creaking feeling on the floor. When I step on that area I feel like it sinks, as though the floorboards are different heights, and it creaks. I can't visually see anything obvious, but then I have a carpet over it, but there is no major bulge in the carpet (but when examining it when stood on you can see a very slight raise). I am just worried about standing there, given I am 26 stone. It doesn't feel solid.

When I stand in other places in the chalet it is perfect, no squeaks or different height feelings, and it feels so sold. Not sure why this particular area has started to have problems, unless it is because it is the area I normally stand in the mornings to put on my deodorant, etc. There is no sink in the chalet though as the bathroom is in another building next door, so it shouldn't have got wet.

As a temp fix can I use some kind of floor mat ? If so what type would be best ? I just don't want my foot going through the floor boards. Could weather be a reason ? As I don't remember it being this bad in the summer.

Thanks all.

2. mr moose

mr moose Active Member

I fixed a problem like this recently, sag in carpet, took carpet back and floor board had sank into void as was not fitted correctly, somtimes they might crack over time and fall in. In this instance it was directly over a pipe joint so if someone had put their full weight on it they would have had a major leak on their hands! Temporary fix put a half inch board down over the carpet.

3. mr moose

mr moose Active Member

If it is a small area you will be OK with some 6mm ply then put a mat over that.

4. Chocky

Chocky New Member

Thanks. Would you say normal hardwood ply would be okay, or should I get Baltic ply ?

5. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Well-Known Member

The OP has stated that he’s 26 stone .......

Will 6mm ply make much difference ?

It may even be more like 5.5mm ply and here, every millimetre counts :)