Floor protection for weight of cast iron radiator

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by RatsAndHounds, Feb 19, 2021.

1. RatsAndHounds

RatsAndHounds Member

Hi Folks,
    I am installing a lovely carved cast iron rad in a kitchen where the floor is to be latexed and then fitted with lino. The rad has 4 feet, diameter approx 1.5cms. It will weigh around 100kg when full of water.
    I think the feet will end up piercing the lino, particularly as they will get hot and the rad will sink through which may affect the pipe joins and ruin the lino.
    Has anyone heard of cast iron rad feet / floor protectors and if so, what are they made of and where would you get them? I was wondering whether you could get oak medallions to slip under to spread the weight a little.
    Thanks for your advice.

2. stevie22

stevie22 Screwfix Select

How about a couple of nice hardwood battens as a bit of a feature?

You can then get the rad in first and floor round it so no risk of damage to floor during rad installation.

3. RatsAndHounds

RatsAndHounds Member

I think you are right. Trying to get separate bits for the feet like coasters might look a bit odd and getting the right size would probably be difficult, I have not found anything remotely suitable from a couple of internet searches. I am thinking a reclaimed oak floorboard with a nice patina may do the trick and spread the weight more evenly over the lino beneath.