Floor slab against the external wall

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by wb1627, Jun 12, 2012.

1. wb1627

wb1627 New Member

A quick question I hope and I'm sure the answer is simple.... I'm looking to build an extension on the back of the house, which will butt up to the existing external wall. The plan is to make it watertight (or as near as damn it) before removing the current external wall and window and creating the new space. A thought I had was concerning the new floor slab. How can I get around laying it if I'm not removing the wall at the start? I can't put it in afterwards because the dpc needs to lip over the blockwork. One thought is to leave say a 500mm strip or so across the width near the wall and fill this after the wall comes down?

2. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

You'll need to put lintel/cavity tray up first surely.

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

3. wb1627

wb1627 New Member

Lintel etc sorted and sized by SE. This isn't an issue. It's a single storey extension and the internal wall will hold the roof whilst the ext wall is removed

4. Mr. Handyandy

You do realise you'll be knocking the walls down 'indoors' if you go that way about it! And having to wait for the slab to dry also.

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

5. removed 7

removed 7 New Member

'Quick questions'  always lead to protracted answers here............

It isn't difficult to establish matching floor levels below old and new:  Simply remove a few bricks at the old floor lever and use a water-gauge level or laser level. Then draught proof the test-holes 'til you're ready to remove the wall and window.

Lucia

6. Mr. Handyandy

Yes, but the worry is not keeping levels. The worry(question) is having to leave the slab short while the wall is still in situ.
    (maybe this is why answers are protracted-not reading the question properly!)

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

7. wb1627

wb1627 New Member

Waiting for the slab to dry isn't really any hardship is it?

8. removed 7

removed 7 New Member

(or perhaps that the questions are read too carefully by agumentative types?)

9. Mr. Handyandy

Not at all.

10. removed 7

removed 7 New Member

It must be so difficult to build a single storey extension on't back of house.........

I'm glad I don't have to do it often........

Pffffttttt!

11. Mr. Handyandy

Now you're just being sarcastic, to hide your own fallacies.

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

12. removed 7

removed 7 New Member

Jolly good guess, Hands!   I - Really don't know how you do it...........

Lucia x

13. wb1627

wb1627 New Member

Anyway, anyone know how to get me around the issue?

14. MrGrimNasty

MrGrimNasty New Member

You said it yourself, leave a large excess flap of DPM, or at least enough to use joining tape on, bridge over any remaining cavity/insulate/drop it down and fill after (or whatever order is appropriate) - proably best to discuss/check with your BCO in case he is fussy.

15. Mr. Handyandy

Temporary lintel 4 or 5 bricks up. Knock the wall out under it. Do your work. Board it up til the concretes set and start work again.

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

16. wb1627

wb1627 New Member

Thank you handy andy but I prefer the option of excess flaps and filling when convenient at a later date

17. Don't blame you, mate.

18. removed 7

removed 7 New Member

Oooer! He ^  said excess flaps.........

Lucia