Floor tiles over chipboard

Discussion in 'Tilers' Talk' started by two by one, Oct 21, 2007.

1. two by one

two by one New Member

Hi tilers, someone has asked me to floor tile over chipboard flooring. What is the correct technique, overlay with 12mm ply and use BAL or similar flexible adhesive/grout? The tiles are 30cm ceramic. Plus, are the half moon shaped trowels better in general than the squre notched ones, for this job I would presume 10mm size. Thanks.

2. Berwhale

Berwhale New Member

I also need to tile over a chipboard floor in an en-suite bathroom. I have 600x300 porcelain tiles which I've precut and I have flexible floor tile adhesive (BAL I think, but need to check).

Floor area to be tiled is only 1500x1800mm as one end of room is completely taken up by shower area.

Do I really need to overlay with WBP? What are the risks of tiling directly on to the chipboard? I'm more concerned about the difference in floor height than the additional cost...

3. Some say that you can tile directly onto chipboard.

I never would, the integrity of the surface of chipboard is poor compared with most other materials.

I would over board with 15mm, 12mm is barely acceptable.

Screw the ply down at 150mm centres, taking care that the screws don't penetrate the existing chipboard floor.

If you're concerned about the increase in height, take up the chip and replace with 25mm ply, making sure you put noggins under all the joins in the ply.

If you're laying porcelain, make sure the adhesive is suitable for porcelain.

10mm semi circular notched trowel is fine

4. Also do a quick search on this forum and you'll find everything you heed to know

5. Berwhale

Berwhale New Member

Thanks for the advice.

I've already built a very substantial frame to sit a resin shower tray on, so I really don't want to lift the floor, plus I've already had it up once to re-route all the pipework. I think I'll pursue the overboarding route.

6. HOTDOG ø

HOTDOG ø Active Member

Definitely overboard with ply. You have no chance of getting the tiles off in the future without wrecking the chipboard.

7. duncairn

duncairn New Member

2 part flexi

8. dhceramics

dhceramics New Member

you can tile over chipboard no probs..firstly make sure the boards are securly fixed with rust proof screws..then prime with acrylic or synthetic primer..leave to dry..then tile using a 2 part flexi adhesive such as bal fastflex..then grout with bal wide joiny grout with GT1 admix or similar........dhceramics..