floor tiling, replace grout by silicon

Discussion in 'Tilers' Talk' started by ritchie00, Mar 15, 2006.

1. ritchie00

ritchie00 New Member

Hi,

I am a real beginner in tiling - and DIY in general - and I have a probably stupid question:

My bathroom has white tiles on the floor. The problem is that the white grout quickly becomes dirty and is really difficult to clean - we haven't find a way to perfectly clean it yet. I was wondering if I could replace the grout by some silicon - which I think would be easier to clean?

Regards,

Rich.

2. trustedman

trustedman New Member

it will look pants with silicon and it will go everywhere when you try and put it in. White floor grout is a bad idea. what about using a pale grey grout?

3. ritchie00

ritchie00 New Member

all the tiles are white so I'm worried the gray grout will be too much visible

4. handyman.

handyman. New Member

agree with tim.
    rack out old grout and replace with grey.........looks fine with white tiles.

5. ritchie00

ritchie00 New Member

ok, I'll try that. tks guys.

6. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

Hold it. Hold it.

I don't give away ALL my top tips but now and again I let one slip.

What colour are your walls ? How about a very light shade of the same colour as grout ?

This is how you can achieve it, and NO raking out involved.

IF your grout is otherwise in good condition, give it a bit of a scrub and allow to dry.

Take a GLOSS(oil based) paint of a similar colour to your walls and mix it down to a watery texture with white spirit/turps.

Approximately 2 parts paint to 8 parts turps. You will now have a tinted turps that you can apply all over the grout. Wipe off all over the tiles immediately.

Two obvious cautions. Your tiles have to be non-porous(otherwise you will colour them too), say ceramic-fine.

Test on a plain piece of white paper to ensure the shade you will get.

The thin mix will soak into the grout, slightly colouring it, and you will never remove it unless you rake it all out.

I do it on wall tiles.

Mr. HandyAndy - really

7. handyman.

handyman. New Member

Mr handyandy, are you mental? Do you have a big blue pill that you have to take every night?

8. trustedman

trustedman New Member

Handyandy, are you for real, Do you really gloss your grout lines, I have never heard anything so daft.

9. trustedman

trustedman New Member

Handyandy, are you for real, Do you really gloss your grout lines, I have never heard anything so daft.

10. Mr. Handyandy

Are you lot **** ing winding me up ?

Don't you read what I write ?

Listen. You will have a tinted mixture of turps.

YOU DO NOT GET A GLOSS FINISH IN YOUR GROUT.

You get a slightly tinted colouring and you can mix it down as far as you like, so if you want you can hardly see the difference.

YOU DO NOT GET A GLOSS FINISH IN YOUR GROUT.

******* read the posts and take note.

I'm too ****ing clever for you lot.

Mr. HandyAndy - really

11. Mr. Handyandy

Meant to say

12. handyman.

handyman. New Member

I'm too ****ing clever for you lot.

Mr. HandyAndy - really

really?

13. Mr. Handyandy

Yes

.....and weep.

Mr. HandyAndy - really

14. bathstyle

bathstyle Active Member

Who was it that recommended using a wallpaper steamer to remove tile adhesive ?

15. trustedman

trustedman New Member

your a mentalist mr handyandy, seek medical advice urgently, you are a danger to the public

16. bathstyle

bathstyle Active Member

Who was it that recommended using a wallpaper steamer
    to remove tile adhesive ?

The reason I ask is not to ridicule Mr HA, I'm not even sure that he suggested it but I did try using a steamer today and it worked a treat. I'm not saying that it will go anywhere near a cement based adhesive but the ready mixed peeled off beautifully :)

17. Mr. Handyandy

Who was it that recommended using a wallpaper steamer
    to remove tile adhesive ?

I didn't say 'wallpaper steamer'.

Another one that can't f-ing read.

If you can't understand what I write, you shouldn't be ******* about with anything except baby's toys.

Learn to read.

Tim'll. Try it. Then come back and comment, or shut up, when you too can't understand the concept. Too tricky for you, eh ?

Proves my point. Get educated, listen.

Mr. HandyAndy - really

18. trustedman

trustedman New Member

in all my time I have never seen what you have suggested, there is a reason for this.

I have seen painted tiles and they look ****

I would think that your idea would too, but I dont think any of my customers would let me try it out their jobs

19. Mr. Handyandy

Firstly, bathstyle, apologies, but it sounded different.

Tim'll fixit. Try it. Honest to God, as I sit here. It DOES NOT look anything like gloss.

You are merely soaking in a very light shade of colouring.

The turps evaporates and dries out and you are left with coloured grout(as weak as you like to make it).

Mr. HandyAndy - really

20. trustedman

trustedman New Member

in all my time I have never seen what you have suggested, there is a reason for this.

I have seen painted tiles and they look ****

I would think that your idea would too, but I dont think any of my customers would let me try it out their jobs