floor tiling, replace grout by silicon

Discussion in 'Tilers' Talk' started by ritchie00, Mar 15, 2006.

1. trustedman

trustedman New Member

apologies for posting twice, mistake on my part

2. panlid

panlid New Member

cant believe you shamefully want to take credit for the steamer on tile adhesive.
    you were talking about using it for raking out cement based grout!

3. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

For once Sid, you're right.

Iwas irate when I read the ongoing reply and immediately blanked out the correct reference.

I, indeed, did NOT recommend the use of a wallpaper steamer for removal of tile adhesive(not that I wouldn't, because I would, but I didn't).

I also stipulated that I had used the jet nozzle to soften and scrape out <u>wall</u> tile grout, not floor grout.

Same as I said for shading grout. I have done it with wall tile grout, not floor tile grout, though I suspect it would be just as effective on the floor tile grout.

Just to clear things up.

Anyone else care to try it and report back ?

Mr. HandyAndy - really

4. handyman.

handyman. New Member

Anyone else care to try it and report back ?

no, your ok

5. artisan

artisan New Member

I bet Muddy is spitting all sorts to reply to this. No such thing as white grout on floor tiles. Pale grey maybe, but it will go black after a while. Think I could retire on sorting out the mess that the HA leaves.

6. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

For your information, I do not leave mess behind me.

I have a very intuitive mind and can adjust to ANY situation.

The need for coloured grouting arose, I applied my metghod to it and turned out perfect results.

Now, if you have a problem with that, it's YOUR problem. Not mine.

Mr. HandyAndy - really

7. mj

mj Guest

twas me!
    I posted a few months ago on the merits of using a wallpaper steamer to remove tile adhesive. Unfortunatelty some of the less experienced guys were quick to ridicule it's effectiveness!
    As said before many non cement based adhesives are removed easily with a 'light' steaming. Blowing the skim coat of plaster shouldn't be an issue, unless you overdo the steam. Any suspect skim coat is better removed in any case, as this is the cause of most wall tile failures

8. bathstyle

bathstyle Active Member

twas me!
    I posted a few months ago on the merits of using a
    wallpaper steamer to remove tile adhesive.
    Unfortunatelty some of the less experienced guys were
    quick to ridicule it's effectiveness!
    As said before many non cement based adhesives are
    removed easily with a 'light' steaming. Blowing the
    skim coat of plaster shouldn't be an issue, unless
    you overdo the steam. Any suspect skim coat is
    better removed in any case, as this is the cause of
    most wall tile failures

I guess the moral of the story is don't knock it unless you've tried it ;)

9. mj

mj Guest

back to the original post!
    Silicone will get ingrained with dirt & stain very quickly, with foot traffic
    From experience all pale coloured grouts used on floors will look dirty sooner or later. I've always steered customers away from them. However i know i should practise what i preach, but when i grouted my own bathroom floor i used 'mappei supercolour' jasmine grout (very pale). It's been down a few months now & still looks clean, albeit anyone caught entering the room with shoes on will be shot on sight!
    Anyone else used this grout, as i find it's a top drawer product, (though i've never liked mappei adhesives)?