Floorboards, solid floor or beam and block

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by Giles Roadnight, Jan 20, 2020.

1. Giles Roadnight

Giles Roadnight New Member

Hi All

I am in the process of buying a house. It is about 80 - 90 years old and has a long list of problems that need to be sorted out.
    A number of the issues are to do with damp in some of the rooms due to some dodgy guttering. There is a concern that the floorboards are wet and might be rotting. There are other concerns about ventilating the void under the floor boards and extra air bricks have been recommended and lowering the height of the garden and changing the render to prevent bridging of the damp proof course.

I want to fit under floor heating downstairs and to avoid continued maintenance and future squeaky floorboards I was considering replacing the floorboards with a solid concrete floor.
    • Am I correct in thinking that a solid concrete floor will eliminate most of the maintenance tasks listed above for floorboards and that it will be easy to lay UFH on top?
    Another option that a friend has suggested is beam and block flooring. I will be able to get a good deal on the materials (probably cost price so very low as it is cheap to make).
    I don't know if it is feasible to fit beam and block flooring in an existing house.
    • Is it possible or advisable to install beam and block in an existing building? (house is about 80 - 90 years old)
    If my understanding is correct with beam and block you still require air bricks to ventilate the void. I can't quite see how that would work in a modern house with a floor the same level as the outside how are you able to ventilate a void below ground level?

I want to rewire quite a bit of the house and lay network cables. I understand that floorboards make this easy and once a concrete floor is laid it will be hard or impossible to change. Are there any other pros and cons of the various types of floor that I should be aware of?

Thanks for any help.

2. Hfs

Hfs Screwfix Select

I would replace joists/build suspended floor, insulate, lay UFH on spreader plates and then lay caberdek down.