Flourescent tube replacement

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by candoabitofmoststuff, Apr 30, 2019.

Tags:
  1. candoabitofmoststuff

candoabitofmoststuff Screwfix Select

Folks,

One of the fluorescent tubes in my garage has given up the ghost. (It was flickering badly for a while.. I changed the starter but to no avail)...

it's a 1.5 meter long tube, philips as shown here;
    Tube.jpg

Can I just replace it with an LED tube... And I mean just replace it. I don't want the aggro of replacing the fitting if I can avoid it.

If I can just replace it can someone recommend something suitable.

Thanks in advance,

Regards,
    Cando

2. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

3. candoabitofmoststuff

4. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

5. If you have an electro magnetic ballast it is just a case of swapping the starter for the one supplied,if you have a high frequency ballast it is just a simple bit of rewiring inside the fitting to do away with the ballast.

6. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

No need to do any rewiring.

If you have a electronic HF ballast, you just used the Philips tube with two blue or grey rings on it.

CorePro LEDtube InstantFit HF-two grey rings (a cheaper tube)

MASTER LEDtube InstantFit HF- two blue rings

http://www.lighting.philips.co.uk/prof/led-lamps-and-tubes/led-tubes/master-ledtube-instantfit-hf

http://www.lighting.philips.com/mai...tubes/led-tubes/corepro-ledtube-instantfit-hf

Last edited: Apr 30, 2019
  7. Like everything they have obviously brought out an upgrade.
    I won't be ditching the couple of boxes of the previous ones I have.

8. candoabitofmoststuff

I bought the first one Kiab linked to...
    Works just fine.
    Thanks folks.
    Regards,
    Cando

9. MGW

MGW Screwfix Select

5 Ft or 1500 mm tube LED output 3700 lumen same size with fluorescent output 5000 to 5600 depending on tube an ballast used, so yes wattage has dropped to 24 watt instead of 52 to 58 watt depending on ballast used, but output also dropped. Since magnetic ballasts are being phased out should really compare with HF ballast so 52W used and 5600 lumen compared with 24 watt at 30 - 80 volt used and 3700 lumen. As to what loses when the HF ballast reduces voltage that is unknown.