flow return pipe changes at boiler

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by pal123, Nov 10, 2021.

1. pal123

pal123 Member

I'm looking at changing some of the soldered 22mm flow/return copper pipe at the boiler with compression fitted copper pipe. This is to (1) move the existing magnaclean micro down as the lid cannot be removed without twisting the pipework, (2) remove the near head-stripped drain valve, (3) to add another magnaclean on the 22mm flow and (4) add a drain valve (22mm x 22mm x 15mm compression tee + 15mm compression drain valve) to both flow and return.

Annotated diagram pre change
    https://e.pcloud.link/publink/show?code=XZEYQJZDO8eaRuq0SziF8e1BsblqXLl7sEy

Annotated diagram post change (not yet done)
    https://e.pcloud.link/publink/show?code=XZOYQJZyEbgUiqsoLbJB0KE6x9n9k1U4697

Can compression fitted copper be used at (within 40cm) of the boiler? I will use plenty of 22mm snap fittings when using copper compression fittings

And can a magnaclean be used around 40cm of the boiler? The magnaclean website does not state a minimum distance from the boiler .

Can I have advice please, thanks

I don't know how to solder and I definitly wouldn't feel comfortable trying to solder so close to the boiler even if I did

2. Wayners

Wayners Screwfix Select

I think yes to all your questions but I'm not a plumber so this will bump your post.
    My answer is based on my own boiler that has compression fittings

3. Ideally the Magnaclean wants to stay on the return as it picks up all the **** from the system before it goes through the boiler. Compression can be used close to the boiler no problem.

4. pal123

pal123 Member

I would have a magnaclean on both the flow and return - so I would have two magnacleans not one

5. Jimbo

Jimbo Screwfix Select

The water circulates forever (obviously) so it really doesn't matter where or how many. An inline strainer may however be worthy addition.

If the system water is bad currently then address than via Fernox F3 then rinsing thoroughly, rather than adding more filters.

6. pal123

pal123 Member

What product should I use for a strainer?

7. it matters, they should be on the return so that the debris doesn’t get into the thin waterways in the heat exchanger?

8. Jimbo

Jimbo Screwfix Select

9. Jimbo

Jimbo Screwfix Select

I mean, there's little if any benefit in fitting two.

Deleted member 246321 likes this.
  10. dcox

dcox Screwfix Select

If the OP doesn't feel the micro is up to the job I suggest he just upgrades it to the Pro model and not bother fitting a second. Does the micro get clogged up?

11. pal123

pal123 Member

A magnaclean on the flow does prevent sludge from the boiler impellers and heat exchanger (which do corrode) from getting into the rads. The magnaclean on the return stops sludge from the rads getting into the boiler. The return one is the main but there's no harm having a magnaclean (as I already have 2 why not use them both up at no extra cost) on the flow and return

12. pal123

pal123 Member

13. dcox

dcox Screwfix Select

Yes, same time as a boiler service unless the system is very dirty.

14. pal123

pal123 Member

Seems simple enough. Why is this strainer not an essential add on? Probably extends the boiler's life by a good few years. Is this fitted on the flow or return, and how far from the boiler?

15. Jimbo

Jimbo Screwfix Select

But the filters are far from 100% effective with what is flowing through them, just having the filter anywhere in the system will steadily clear deposits from the water over time.

16. Jimbo

Jimbo Screwfix Select

Fit on return before the boiler. It just prevents flakes of crud getting into the heat exchanger really. Fit one on the cold supply to the boiler as well if you like, for properties with iron mains water supply it will catch some grit over time.

17. pal123

pal123 Member

18. pal123

pal123 Member

Last edited: Nov 16, 2021
    Jimbo likes this.