Flue inlet cage for a restricted space

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Stokey Dan, Aug 25, 2021.

Tags:
  1. Stokey Dan

Stokey Dan New Member

The heating engineer who serviced our boiler said we should have a cage over the flue inlet to avoid invalidating the warranty.

There isn’t much clearance to fit a cage (see photos), and I can only find cages for flue exhausts, so these either have no cutout, or the cutout is at the back rather than the front where I need it.

I’ve considered getting a cage and cutting bits off to make it fit, or constructing something myself that will do the job, but neither of those seem like a good solution!

Any suggestions?

DSC08409.JPG DSC08413.JPG

2. dcox

dcox Screwfix Select

I expect a cage is recommended where the flue is low to reduce the risk of the terminal being damaged. What’s the structure to the left that’s limiting the space?

3. Stokey Dan

Stokey Dan New Member

It's a masonry column at the side of the front door porch. Long story but the flue comes up through the floor inside the front room and out through the front wall. It ended up in that tight spot to make it less conspicuous inside

4. kiaora

kiaora Guest

hi
    that part of the flue is the fresh air intake.
    the cages were really only designed for the old non condensing boilers, where the flue temp was over 100c
    and the flue was less than 2m high

the modern flue out let temp is only around 50c

and its fitted with a plume management kit, so the hot part is away from any problems

it not really an issue, in my view. the regs may quote it, but they are out of date,

regards
    peter

5. Stokey Dan

Stokey Dan New Member

Thanks @kiaora, I’m inclined to agree with you, especially as the intake already includes a grill-like structure as part of its construction.
    Also the installation guide doesn’t mention a cage. I think the engineer was barking up the wrong flue!

kiaora likes this.
  6. kiaora

kiaora Guest

Hi
    The grill is to stop birds nesting ! And if the grill was damaged, then an extra metal grill would do the trick.