Fluidmaster Dual flush

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by robbo1979, Jan 13, 2011.

1. robbo1979

robbo1979 New Member

Hi all, has anyone else had problems with these on the half flush not working, i press the button and it stops dropping water instantally, no matter what position the slider is in, i have had a few like this now. Any ideas?

2. FM TECH

FM TECH New Member

Fluidmaster's dual flush uses a tank levert and not a button, hoever in cases like these the refill mount which holds the refill water tube above the overflow pipe may be set to low. Try raising it up to allow for the full travel of the pipe.

Mike 

3. FM TECH

FM TECH New Member

For more information there is a dual flush installation video on the Fluidmaster website, fluidmaster.com or you can e-mail a Tech at askbob@fluidmaster.com

4. robbo1979

robbo1979 New Member

im talking about the one screwfix sell, not the new one on the american website

5. robbo1979

robbo1979 New Member

well i now know the answer... after speaking with tech support, it seams its a common problem with them, i cant beleive NO ONE has had this???? does no one fit these valves?????

6. vandorgan

vandorgan New Member

Hi. Just bought and fitted 4 of these fluidmaster flush valves, had half flush problems with 2 of them. Struggled with trying all sorts of fixes and settings. No help from the Installation leaflet or online at Fluidmaster. But Hey Presto. I have the problem solved. Remove the block from the underneath of the buttons with the press release. Unscrew the one retaining screw from the side and open the unit up. Notice where the BLUE cable entry comes in, its got an adjustment via slotted fins. Move the cable 1 slot out over to the outside of the block. This will tighten the cable up. Box it up. Try your half flush. Should be good.

KIAB and ALLANTIMNEY like this.
  7. lostandfound

lostandfound New Member

Vandorgam - you are a wonderful person!  I've had exactly your experience and with your simple tip have saved myself hours of negotiating replacements

8. biggles_no1

biggles_no1 New Member

FanBLOOMINtastic

Thank you very much. I had a different problem but your fix helped me find a solution

Basically, after a couple of years faultless service, my full flush started acting up intermittently. Sometimes the seal would not drop down all the way and needed some jiggling of the button to get it to drop. Eventually the full flush just stopped completely and then the half flush started acting up. We live in a very hard water area and I thought it might be limescale in the flush mechanism. I took the unit out and tried spraying bathroom descaler on it but that did nothing.

After reading your post I oppened the assembly that holds the buttons . . .

There was a build-up of limescale on the end of the cable where it slots into the pulling mechanism. Limescale had built up under the "collar" between the cable end and the surface of the pulling mechanism. ,(hard to explain without a diagram). Anyway it had the effect of pulling the cable to be every so slightly too tight. I'll call it the limescale cable adjuster :)

Anyway long story short . . .  I cleaned all the limescale away from the end of the cable and now the flush works perfectly. Happy days.

Thanks once again.

Jason

9. ALLANTIMNEY

ALLANTIMNEY New Member

great advice.works perfect now thanks

10. aw123

aw123 New Member

I've just fitted one of these and have this problem of the half flush not working - just flushes for as long as the lever is pressed. I can't see where there's a press release to get into the unit though? Am I being dense? (Just to confirm, this is the unit I have: http://www.screwfix.com/p/fluidmaster-lever-dual-flush-valve/57025 )

11. aw123

aw123 New Member

Hang on - I get it - I was being dense - we're talking about the unit that connects to the buttons/lever. Unfortunately the version for the lever-operated flush doesn't seem to have a screw to permit access. Any ideas?

12. TonyGood

TonyGood New Member

I know this is a bit late for aw123 but vandorgan's advice works with the lever flush unit but as you say no screw? If you look at where the cable enters the block that attaches to the back of the lever closely you will notice a plastic collar around the two halves of the block, this can be gently prised of with you fingernail, be careful to hold the two halves together. Once it is off the block can be opened just enough to move the cable out one slot/find then replace the collar job done. Thanks vandorgan for pointing me in the right direction.

13. aw123

aw123 New Member

Thanks so much Tony. I've finally got round to doing this and it has done the trick. Moving the cable out one fin was all that was needed. Couple of photos attached in case they're of use to anyone else. You don't necessarily need to open the whole thing like I did, you can get away with just doing the cable entry end - minimises the risk of the internal lever bits falling out too. Mine was on slot 3 of 4, moving it back to slot 2 of 4 did the job. (Picture shows it on 4 of 4, ignore that...)

Attached Files:

14. Ash_vale

Ash_vale New Member

So glad I found these posts... I don't gave a Screwfix Fluidmaster, but one called NIS which is the same as Bathstore supply.

On this on I removed the two screws, moved to cable out one notch and now the Half flush works rather than having to hold the half flush button in all the time,

As per the insert picture

Attached Files:

15. Average Bob

Average Bob New Member

Thanks for the tip. Had the same problem of the valve not going down after flushing. Ive attached photos of the button with the limescale. I soaked the end and blue lever in vinegar and bicarbonate for 30mins. Worked a dream and saved me £12 for a new flush valve. IMG_20210608_195636.jpg IMG_20210608_100609.jpg IMG_20210608_133937.jpg [