Fluorescent tubes

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by furious_customer, Dec 2, 2019 at 4:32 PM.

1. furious_customer

furious_customer Active Member

I have a tube light in the garage and quickly measure the tube to be approx. 1700mm long.

So next time I was passing by SF, I grabbed a 1764mm T4 tube but it was about 5mm too short.
    The original one on place was a T8 - so is a 1764 T4 shorter than a 1764 T8?

2. Philip Hyde

Philip Hyde Active Member

A T4 lamp won't fit in a T8 light. Diameter is to small

3. furious_customer

furious_customer Active Member

Are the pins not in the same place though?

4. Philip Hyde

No T5 and T8 are same but T4 is smaller

5. Wayners

Wayners Well-Known Member

Swap for led. You can replace the tube only I understand with led. Also need to swap starter.. My cold garage seems to kill the tube bulbs so that's my plan. I need advice on this as don't know much about it. I do know you need number off the tube and look up replacement as they can vary in size

6. Philip Hyde

Depends what type of fitting you have. Switch start or electronic

7. KIAB

KIAB Well-Known Member

Philip do a the Philips CorePro LED tube EM,that comes with the required LED starter,they also offer HF version, just change starter & pop in new tube, simple.

[​IMG]

https://www.lighting.philips.co.uk/prof/led-lamps-and-tubes/led-tubes/master-ledtube-instantfit-hf

https://www.lighting.philips.co.uk/prof/led-lamps-and-tubes/led-tubes/master-ledtube-em-mains

Wayners likes this.
  8. Wayners

Wayners Well-Known Member

Brilliant @KIAB
    Bookmarked as I need one. I'll have to look at price Vs total new led but that's what I wanted to know. useful information

Sparkielev and KIAB like this.
  9. KIAB

KIAB Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

10. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Well-Known Member

I’ve replaced my old T8 florie tubes with retrofit LED tubes that just require mains juice and nothing else - no starter motors, choke, electronic, magnetic ballasts - nothing

Whatever it needs is built into circuitry in tube

So you gut your old fitting, either remove any/all of the above or simply disconnect the wires

Connect end cap fitting direct to mains supply inside fitting (usually a simple connector strip) connect led tube and off you go

Got them from a local wholesaler who was replacing fittings inside a friends shop with same type

Simplicity and great light

6’ led tubes are a bit weird as they sag in the middle, being made of plastic, not glass and clearly just supported at ends isn’t enough (cable tie to the rescue) !

11. Tony Goddard

Tony Goddard Active Member

I'm not a fan of the remove the ballast and feed 230 to one tube cap set ups, problem comes if someone then puts a regular tube or tube of different configuration in later and BANG.

Osram do a good LED tube I have used a lot, simply replaces the existing tube, no wiring changes needed on electronic ballast and simply change the starter for a dummy with a fused link on switchstart, if you then put a regular tube back in the fused link blows.

12. Woloumbo

Woloumbo Active Member

the fused link won’t blow,it will just cause the ends of the tube to glow orange as it will be stuck on preheat and not able to strike